Anyone ever get a false reading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever get a false reading...

while doing the test for the stator papers? I did the tests and from what I gathered, I had a faulty stator. I replaced it with a Ricks today. I put everything back together and took a ride for about 20 minutes. Tached it out to roughly 5k and did a reading at the terminals where it read 13.80something and didnt climb any higher. After letting it idle for a few minutes, I rechecked at roughly 1k on the tach for a whopping 10.30something. Could the RR give a misread/false reading? I know, read the damn stator papers again, Im just a bit frustrated and was hoping for a magic answer. Guess Ill test the stator I just took off tomorrow and see.

I have gotten false readings when checking ohms in the stator fields, and bought a new stator for my one of my 850's which I did not need.

Is your battery fully charged? Does it hold a charge properly?
    sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Could it be the previous stator toasted the battery?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
        while doing the test for the stator papers? I did the tests and from what I gathered, I had a faulty stator.
        Do you remember what you gathered? poor ohm reading, or low open circuit ac voltage? I assume this is the 650 bike.
        That 1000 rpm output is WAY too low. Have you already gotten rid of stator wire loop to headlight switch (wire all 3 stator wires direct to r/r)? cleaned all connections and run ground wire from r/r to battery negative?
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Im hoping its the battery (cheaper of 2 evils) And no, I havent had to do any other work to the bike before this other than maintenance. I guess me and the tester are gonna become close in the near future.

Comment

False reading while doing the test for the stator papers? .....
            Hammered,

You asked about faulty readings while doing stator paper tests. But didnt say which of all the tests you got these suspect faulty readings.

Yes, you can get faulty readings, if meter not set on proper selection (voltage for votage, and ohms for ohms-continuity). If meter battery is low when trying to read ohms. And any time if meter leads not making good connection.
            So which test was it you where doing, and what reading did you think you had when you concluded the stator was bad?

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
            Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

And no, I havent had to do any other work to the bike before this other than maintenance. I guess me and the tester are gonna become close in the near future.
              Actually, every one of these bikes need to have the stator wires hooked up as suggested and also to have the extra grounds added.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
              X