Three Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three Keys

I just bought this 450L and the ignition, gas cap, and helmet hook all have different keys. That tells me they've each been lost over the years. Can a locksmith make one key to fit all three or do I need to find a salvage bike that has a matching set and try to buy those?

Thanks in advance

Jim

Ya cant have one key made for different locks. You'll need to find a complete lock set from another bike. Good luck with that..

More than likely the original key was lost and somewhere down the line someone replaced each lock.
    sigpic

82 GS850
    78 GS1000
    04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
    .................________-|___\____
    ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

You can have one key cut to two locks.

Comment

I talked to a locksmith once that said he can convert all the locks to work with the same key, but then people say the darnedest things some times.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I've had it done. I didn't have a key for them either but the locksmith not only cut a key to match but keyed them all alike. It's easy enough. should only cost about 15-20 and take a day. STUPIDLY easy. if no one around there will do it, send them to me and a $20 and I'll get a locksmith here to do it and send them back (and any change left over)

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
            I've had it done. I didn't have a key for them either but the locksmith not only cut a key to match but keyed them all alike. It's easy enough. should only cost about 15-20 and take a day. STUPIDLY easy. if no one around there will do it, send them to me and a $20 and I'll get a locksmith here to do it and send them back (and any change left over)

what do they do just change the pins inside i imagine.?

I see a wee driftpin on the locks maybe its time to take up that locksmithing course.

Comment

Well it seems I stand corrected. I went around and around trying to figure out a lockeset for my 78. Couldnt find anyone to do anything for me.

I finally found a matching lockeset on ebay for around 40 bux.
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
                what do they do just change the pins inside i imagine.?

I see a wee driftpin on the locks maybe its time to take up that locksmithing course.

Yup. it's really easy. I rekey door locks at work. this is the same principle really. The only problem is that you need the correct replacement pins to put in there and you have to usually have some correct tools to do it without completely losing all the springs and pins and everything. It would cost a lot more to get a kit and take a course than just pay someone who knows what they are doing.

Comment

Wow, thanks everyone. I keep looking on eBay but nothing has come up yet. I might try the salvage yards to see if someone has a complete set. If nothing turns up then I'll call a locksmith and see what they can do. I have all the keys I need right now, but I'd much rather have just one.

Ya know what though, I'd also like to have my fiaring pouch and saddlebags keyed to my 850. Hmmmmm.... call a locksmith, kill two birds with one stone!!

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
                    Wow, thanks everyone. I keep looking on eBay but nothing has come up yet. I might try the salvage yards to see if someone has a complete set. If nothing turns up then I'll call a locksmith and see what they can do. I have all the keys I need right now, but I'd much rather have just one.

Ya know what though, I'd also like to have my fiaring pouch and saddlebags keyed to my 850. Hmmmmm.... call a locksmith, kill two birds with one stone!!

If they don't take the same style key, you won't be able to do it. meaning, if you can't slide a bike key into the lock, it won't work. if it does, feel free. should only cost about $20.

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                      Well it seems I stand corrected. I went around and around trying to figure out a lockeset for my 78. Couldnt find anyone to do anything for me.

I finally found a matching lockeset on ebay for around 40 bux.

I hope they mail you the key to go with em

I got a matching set but they forgot to mail the key..
                      They sent it along later but it got "lost in the mail"

yeah whatever.. guess I get to spend $20 extra to have a new key cut.

Comment

Originally posted by sschering View Post
                        I hope they mail you the key to go with em

I got a matching set but they forgot to mail the key..
                        They sent it along later but it got "lost in the mail"

yeah whatever.. guess I get to spend $20 extra to have a new key cut.

Got two keys and a little leather pouch with the set, lol..
                        sigpic

82 GS850
                        78 GS1000
                        04 HD Fatboy

Comment

I have three keys for "Junior", too. I think I can live with that, though.

One key does all the original locks, ignition, gas cap, seat, helmet lock.

The second key does all the GK luggage, there are 7 locks involved.

The third key is the little one for the fairing pockets.

Not sure which would be cheaper: re-key the four original locks to match the GK key or the 7 GK locks to match the 850 key.

In this case, three keys is not really so bad.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                          X