GS425L electrical help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS425L electrical help

So I did a complete rebuild of a 79 425L and I am almost done with the reassembly. I am stuck with the wiring right now. I am deleting all lighting, clusters, and cluster lighting, so I cut down the harness significantly. I did, however, get in over my head with this. If there is anyone who can help me with specific colors and whatnot for this specific bike, I would love you forever. I want to keep the voltage regulator so I can hook up the headlight to a toggle. I took decent photos before and during the teardown, but the harness is driving me nuts. I basically need someone who understands a diagram to tell me to "take the orange wire from the starter switch and connect it to..."

God help me

probably very close

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. sluggerknuckles,

I can't help much with your wiring dilema. Perhaps questions that are more specific will yield some specific answers. I think there's a stock wiring diagram on my website. But in the meantime, I can share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        That's probably the best help you'll get for the moment.

At some point down the track I'll be doing something with my harness when I get to that part of my rebuild.

Unsure what the something will be yet, but suspect a rewire will be in order because it was pretty shoddy when I pulled it off.

The best way I can think is to get a manual or get the manual off Basscliff's site (if it's suitable) and use that as a reference to draw up only the components you want.

That way you should be able to avoid confusion with trying to use the stock diagram.

Also, and this is just a thought, it may also be worthwhile using the stock colours for the wires so if you lose your diagram in future you will know what's what from the stock diagram.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          That's probably the best help you'll get for the moment.

At some point down the track I'll be doing something with my harness when I get to that part of my rebuild.

Unsure what the something will be yet, but suspect a rewire will be in order because it was pretty shoddy when I pulled it off.

The best way I can think is to get a manual or get the manual off Basscliff's site (if it's suitable) and use that as a reference to draw up only the components you want.

That way you should be able to avoid confusion with trying to use the stock diagram.

Also, and this is just a thought, it may also be worthwhile using the stock colors for the wires so if you lose your diagram in future you will know what's what from the stock diagram.
          What you describe is exactly what I did , although there were certain changes that had to be made to correct Suzuki deficiencies in Power and grounding.

Comment

I find the hardest part right now is identifying what wire is coming from where on the bike opposed to the diagram. I really need to identify what parts are what on the bike. I know what the battery is, the voltage regulator, the coils... I know I have the ignition, starter button and kill switch... Everything else is slightly confusing. Ugh. I'll figure it out. Thank you all for the guidance.

Comment

I'd offer to take photos and point out what I understand to be what... except it's in a million pieces at the moment

sigpic

Comment

Ok, I attempted it with the info I have from here, but still no dice. Here are some photos of what I have going on. I disconnected everything I hooked up. If someone can maybe identify some wires for me and see how it looks against the schematic posted in this thread,I would love you forever.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Comment

Hello all,
                  I have the wiring down to the simplest form possible. I get the starter to turn, but I have no spark out of the coils. After studying the diagrams and doing some research online I am fairly positive I have everything hooked up correctly. One thing I need explained to me, though, is how these two coils fire.

My first coil has a black and an orange/white wire. THe second has a white and an orange/white wire. Now, the orange/whites have constant voltage when the key is on, and it appears the black and the white break continuity as the starter turns. The coils are screwed to the frame and that is a ground as well.

Am I missing something? Any idea why they don't spark?

Comment

The points ground out those black and white wires going to coils to make the spark- are your points openning and closing? Detach black and white wire from coils, turn ignition on- run a jumper wire from a ground and touch briefly to coil ( where the black and white wires came off)- does it spark now?
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                      The points ground out those black and white wires going to coils to make the spark- are your points openning and closing? Detach black and white wire from coils, turn ignition on- run a jumper wire from a ground and touch briefly to coil ( where the black and white wires came off)- does it spark now?
                      Did this and I get spark. How do I check the points now?

Comment

So I toook a peek inside and this is what I found. This might be a stupid question, but would this make those wires not ground out? And what exactly should I search for a replacement? (click on images for bigger ones)

Comment

Anyone? Please...

Comment

I reckon you definitely could be onto something there

Part number 10 in this diagram from Alpha Sports:

Part number 33120-44021 but they say it's discontinued. Maybe try someone over there who does NOS parts?

sigpic

Comment

Thank you so much, my friend!! At least I know what it's called now. Instead of hunting this down, is there any sort of aftermarket upgrade to take it's place?

Comment

Working...
                              X