Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bandit (still a GS... sort of) power cutting out when hitting start button.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bandit (still a GS... sort of) power cutting out when hitting start button.

Ok so I have an 02 Bandit 1200. I had this issue once last fall and now several times in the past two weeks. What it was doing was, I would turn the bike on, pull up the kickstand, (it was in neutral) grab the clutch, and hit the start button. When I would hit the start button, I would hear a click and then the bike lost all power. After a couple seconds, it would come back on and cycle the gauges and do it's normal stuff, and if i hit the start button again, it would click and shut off, then turn it's self back on. So I would pop the seat off, disconnect the battery, wait 30 seconds, put the terminal back on, and it would start up like normal then.

Today it did the same thing only after disconnecting the battery, it continued to do it, and actually it wouldn't come back on. After messing around with it for a while, it came back on tonight, only to do it once more and now it's refusing to have any power. I even tried to turn the key onto the ''parking light'' mode and still nothing.

I pulled and checked all the fuses under the tail and they are all good. I swapped out the 30amp fuse on the solenoid with the spare (the original one was still good) and still nothing. I disconnected and reconnected every electrical connection I could find (even blinkers) and still nothing.

The battery has a good charge on it.
    there are no blown fuses
    any ideas?

Hmmm, sounds like starter/solenoid stuff (assuming it's not some crazy safety circuit).When it does this, have you tried bump starting it? It's challenging when cold but this would take starter system out of play- it seems that pressing starter button is causing a sudden drain at times( like a short circuit)
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If the wiring of the bandit look like an old oilcooled gsxr you have a main breaker in the harness.Probably a short in the starting circuit.Try to lacate the click sound you will probably find a breaker.
      marc
      https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

Working...
      X