Whining from gauges when revving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whining from gauges when revving?

So, purchased an 85 GS550l yesterday. Ran amazing on the way home no problems. 12000 miles, just inspected and has no problems. This morning get on it to go to work and as soon as the rpms go above 3000 a very loud whining noise comes from the gauges. the sound changes when tapping and wiggling the gauges but wont go away. Its not there when i first start it up but the second i give it gas the sound starts and wont go away until i shut it off. The light on the rpm gauge is out so i will have to pul it apart to change the bulb. but i have never experienced this sound before and although it doesnt seem to affect anything its just really annoying. Any ideas or suggestions would be amazing. Thanks.

dry bushings lube them up.
    a nice aerosol with a tube to start with

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ukska12,

My gauges used to whine once in a while. Be sure the cables are lubed. You might even want to take the gauges off, turn them upside down, and squirt a little of your favorite silicon lubricant or household oil in the cable inputs. Then make sure the cables are fastened straight and tight, but not over-tight. The next step would be new cables. Now, let me share some of my GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
      Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2010, 02:34 PM.

Comment

The squealing is the gauge itself, the grease has dried out. The lube needs to go between the part of the gauge that spins with the cable, and the tube it spins in. Turn the gauge upside down, you will see. Something like a spray grease or something.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Doesn't the 85 L model run the later model 4 valve engine with the electronic tach??
          Current:
          Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha :eek:)

Past:
          VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
          And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

probly english gauges

Comment

Originally posted by ozman View Post
              probly english gauges
              Never heard whining from the Smits guages on my Bonnie. Of course, they rarely worked at all...

Comment

Gauge lube

I use the teflon triflo when my gauges on my GS750 start squealing some, seems to work very well.
                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike:dancing: 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by ukska12 View Post
                  So, purchased an 85 GS550l yesterday. ...
                  And you found GSR the next day.

I Had a few struggles with a couple things on my 850G. Then found GSR years later. Found that the problems I had been working with were fairly common knowlodge here. Whiring speedo was one of them.

Welcome to GSR.

Speaking of common problems, DO you have a volt meter?

I would recommend that you:
                  - add your location to your profile
                  - add your bike year/model in your signature line (goto UserCP)
                  - post picture of your bike

Last edited by Redman; 10-14-2010, 10:47 PM.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
                  X