coil problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil problem?

I'm having a problem with my ignition on a 79 GS1000. I have a Dyna S system and the green coils. Everything was fine until the lead wire for the 2/3 cylinder pickup chaffed against the battery box and cut through. After that it would only run on 1/4 cylinders of course. I sent the unit into Dyna and they replaced it for a very reasonable cost (this is for a 20 plus year old unit). After replacing the Dyna S, she still doesn't run on 2 cylinders. If I swap the coils the loss of ignition follows the coil. So, it has to be a bad coil, right? I tested the bad coil and the good one and both have the same readings on primary and secondary tests as provided by Dyna. So both coils should be good!!! I did the rest of the Dyna S testing and all are good except for the voltage when measured at the coil negative leads when connected to the coils I have only 9.8 volts. If I disconnect the coil leads I have 12.4 volts on the leads. As I read the Dyna test procedure, I should have approximately only about 1 volt less at the coil negative than battery voltage. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I just get another coil and give it a shot or is there something I am missing. Thanks for any help you can give. Ray
    "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
    GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
    1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
    1979 GS1000SN The new hope
    1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Originally posted by Ghostgs1 View Post
    I'm having a problem with my ignition on a 79 GS1000. I have a Dyna S system and the green coils. Everything was fine until the lead wire for the 2/3 cylinder pickup chaffed against the battery box and cut through. After that it would only run on 1/4 cylinders of course. I sent the unit into Dyna and they replaced it for a very reasonable cost (this is for a 20 plus year old unit). After replacing the Dyna S, she still doesn't run on 2 cylinders. If I swap the coils the loss of ignition follows the coil. So, it has to be a bad coil, right? I tested the bad coil and the good one and both have the same readings on primary and secondary tests as provided by Dyna. So both coils should be good!!! I did the rest of the Dyna S testing and all are good except for the voltage when measured at the coil negative leads when connected to the coils I have only 9.8 volts. If I disconnect the coil leads I have 12.4 volts on the leads. As I read the Dyna test procedure, I should have approximately only about 1 volt less at the coil negative than battery voltage. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Do I just get another coil and give it a shot or is there something I am missing. Thanks for any help you can give. Ray
    Swapping the coils proves the wiring to each coil is ok, as " good" coil fires in both spots. Despite ohm readings on primary, the bad coil fails under load. Substitute with same ohm equivalent coil and you should be off.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ray,

Any further report?

http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
      Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Working...
      X