19 pole vs 12 pole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19 pole vs 12 pole

My '79 has the OEM 12 pole stator and rotor. I have found a 18 pole rotor and stator for a good price working. What is the advantage of upgrading to a 18 pole setup?

None. Except the fact that no one I have found makes replacements for the 12 pole..

Comment

Hi,

The 18 pole stator will work in the '79 models as long as you replace the rotor too. The rotor has to have the proper number of magnets in order to work with the newer stator. I think the 12 pole stators need 4 magnet rotors and the 18 pole stators need 6 magnet rotors. It's a "three phase" thing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If it's working leave it alone

Comment

OK then, was curious. While the bike is down waiting on new intake boots I am going to swap the OEM R/R for Duaneage's Honda R/R kit. Might as well get rid of the weak link while its sitting. Wish I could afford one of the compufire units but i believe the Honda R/R will help immensely.

Comment

The 18 pole will probably generate more power and less pulsing in the power than a 12 pole. That is because for each rotation of the rotor, there are more pulses of current ( a pulse peaks when the stator pole aligns with the rotor magnet). Since there are more pulses which are probably about the same size there is more current. with the 18 pole.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
              If it's working leave it alone
              Lynn,

I take it your original '79 stator is still working.

There's something to be said about OEM parts and regular maintenance.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
              X