82 GS1100E suttering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS1100E suttering problem

I have a 82 GS1100EZ that at 5500 rpm it stutters and dies out. I have good fuel flow and compression in all four cylinders is 170. Carbs have just been overhauled and cleaned and new spark plugs. The bike has Minuki drag carbs. Does any one have any ideas on were to to go from here I am thinking there is something up with the spark or timing.

Originally posted by Brian Horning View Post
    I have a 82 GS1100EZ that at 5500 rpm it stutters and dies out. I have good fuel flow and compression in all four cylinders is 170. Carbs have just been overhauled and cleaned and new spark plugs. The bike has Minuki drag carbs. Does any one have any ideas on were to to go from here I am thinking there is something up with the spark or timing.
    I would guess carbs; did it ever run with those carbs? Did it ever run with your current ignition?

Comment

The bike runs fine at lower rpms but when you open up the throttle when it hits around 5500 rpm sputters and has no more go in it

Comment

The bike runs fine at lower rpms but when you open up the throttle when it hits around 5500 rpm sputters and has no more go in it
        yea I got that; how about answering the question?

Comment

yes I have been riding it for 3 years with this problem thinking it was with the carbs and playing around with them then finally taking it into a mechanic and had him look at the carbs and sync them for me and the problem still exists when he took it for a test ride. he is also thinking that the problem lays in the electrical somewhere and I was just trying to find out some info that might help.

Comment

yes I have been riding it for 3 years with this problem thinking it was with the carbs and playing around with them then finally taking it into a mechanic and had him look at the carbs and sync them for me and the problem still exists when he took it for a test ride. he is also thinking that the problem lays in the electrical somewhere and I was just trying to find out some info that might help.
            So you have never had the bike run properly sound like and a mechanics went through the carbs and there was no change (at least did not get any worse)?

OK Well I would check the simple stuff first:

Do you have good voltage to the coils (I have had hard start problems at 10.5V; coil relay mod will solve this)?

When you pull a high tension wire off you get blue sparks or weak yellow (if so replace coils with Dyna or Accel).

Use an inductive clamp timing light to check that you are getting consistent firing on all four wires when you rev it up (this is a very poor test and will only show something very obvious). You can skip this if you dont have the timing light.

If all that checks I would start with the carbs.

First off do you have 4:1, Do you have pods? Are your pipes blue?

If you answer yes to any of this pull the carbs to check the main jets.

Get back

Comment

I do have a 4:1 exhuast and the outside 2 pipes have some blueing on them

Comment

I do have a 4:1 exhuast and the outside 2 pipes have some blueing on them
                minor blueing is OK, normally the inner are worse. No pods?

Comment

excuse my ignorance but what are pods?

Comment

excuse my ignorance but what are pods?
                    Factory direct K&N replacement air filters, air intakes, oil filters & cabin filters. KNFilters.com - the official site for performance filtration products.

These make a big difference (much more than 4:1) on leaning out your air fuel mixture because they flow so much air than a stock air box.

Comment

so the pods are individual air filters for each carb. that could be it because when I first got the bike it did not have a air filter on it and it ran better but that was before I had the carbs redone

Comment

so the pods are individual air filters for each carb. that could be it because when I first got the bike it did not have a air filter on it and it ran better but that was before I had the carbs redone
                        yes the picture showed 4, there are dual pods also but most GS's use the individual ones.

so do you have an airbox (look at the manual for pictures there are two parts to the airbox)? or any time of filter? these bikes will not run without something to create some restriction.

If you still have the air box, get a filter and a cover for it else you will have to rejet. Sounds like someone started to work on pods and 4:1 and never finished.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 10-17-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

it does have the stock air box on it with a k&n filter and I believe that it has bigger main jets than stock.

Comment

it does have the stock air box on it with a k&n filter and I believe that it has bigger main jets than stock.
                            how do you know the jet size?

Comment

a friend of a friend was working on the bike and he said that he was putting larger main jets in to make the bike run better.

Comment

Working...
                              X