Electrosport or Compufire on 83 GS1100S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrosport or Compufire on 83 GS1100S

Id like advise on which set up to go with on a GS1100S that will be ridden very little due to health problems with my back. Should I go with the Electrosport setup or the Compufire at twice the cost ? I know which one is better but not sure I really need it. If I do Ill pay the extra money. Im retired and on disability so progress is slow and money is snug until my son finishes college this semester. Thanks for any help.

would help to know what part you're talking about? Stator? Regulator/Rectifier?

If Reg/Rec, neither of those and going Honda appears to be a preferred method. Me, I've replaced my failed Reg/Rec with Electrosport 2x, 1st failed after just 1 yr, warrantee replacement works fine.

Comment

The Compufire will never cook your stator. The Electrosport may eventually cook your stator if you spend a lot of time at higher rpm. The Electrosport will cook your stator if you allow charging connections to corrode and add resistance to the circuit. If you have or add a voltmeter to keep an eye on your charging voltage, you can see these problems before they strand you with an uncharged battery or cook the stator.

Since you ride very little, there probably will never be a problem with high-rpm stator overheating. I'd recommend the Honda R/R from Duanage, with a voltmeter so you can always know the state of your charging system.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
        The Compufire will never cook your stator. The Electrosport may eventually cook your stator if you spend a lot of time at higher rpm. The Electrosport will cook your stator if you allow charging connections to corrode and add resistance to the circuit. If you have or add a voltmeter to keep an eye on your charging voltage, you can see these problems before they strand you with an uncharged battery or cook the stator.

Since you ride very little, there probably will never be a problem with high-rpm stator overheating. I'd recommend the Honda R/R from Duanage, with a voltmeter so you can always know the state of your charging system.
        Amen ...........

Comment

Something about 25+ year old Honda R/R's leave me cold...

I'd get a late model CBR R/R and wire it up bypassing the factory wiring. If you watch ebay these units can be had for less than $30. I'll take late model Japanese OE parts over aftermarket Electrosport any day.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

I'd get a late model CBR R/R and wire it up bypassing the factory wiring. If you watch ebay these units can be had for less than $30. I'll take late model Japanese OE parts over aftermarket Electrosport any day.
            To echo some of what Ed is saying, unless you want to pop for the Compufire or other (Motorcycle Electric 600 series) SERIES R/R's and end your charging system problems, it is kinda a toss up as to what your alternatives are. If you drive hard at higher RPM ; you don't have much choice unless you want to keep replacing stators. The SERIES R/R is it.

As far as SHUNT type are concerned.....

The old Honda is good because alot of people have had relatively good experience even though you have to be mindful of how you connect the 6th sense wire. Duanage will sell you a tested one with pre configured with connections and support in getting it going.

The oldest OE units which short only one of the three stator phases are probably the worst and should be replaced because they can cause overcharging as well as under charging.

The Electrosports don't really have anything on a Honda except they are newer. They cost more and I have had problems with poor connectors. Otherwise they are OK.

The FET based units (e.g. FHA0012) are newer and are not likely to burn up and come pretty cheap (like the CBR Ed mentioned), but alas they are also a SHUNT R/R and so can over stress a stator like the other SHUNT types above and probably are a little worse due to the FET SHUNT R/R efficiency.

With all of these it is even more important to clean all R/R connections and following the grounding scheme I have outlined. This is even more important that any of the Shunt R/R options because they are all susceptible to connection issues (the Honda is a little better)
            Last edited by posplayr; 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Ill run thru the charging system tests then go from there, appreciate the help guys ! I know Im a PIA but Ive been doing Kawasakis since 73 and just now changing to Suzukis and building this Katana. Id be lost without all the forum help.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post

25 years old? No way- -lots of these units (Shindengen ) all over the place. I just discovered my son's 07 ninja 250 uses one- six wire just like the oldies. I recently bought 3 on ebay for grand total of $15.! With all the ninjas that wind up scrapped, you can find almost new ones cheap!
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                X