Stock Ignition Dyna...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stock Ignition Dyna...

OK, so I'm slowly starting to evaluate what needsto get done on my bike.

I've opened the cover to the ignition just to check things out and checked the stator voltage.

Photo of my ignition...

I'm assuming this is the Stock ignition. Other than better performance is there a reason to invest in a Dyna S? (i.e. are the stock ignitions OK or are they known to cause trouble).

I don't believe that a Dyna S ignition will buy you any performance over the stock ignition. The ignitors are getting kind of old in these bikes now and the Dyna S makes much cheaper replacement than new, and much more reliable replacement than used for those with factory electronic ignition and mechanical advance. Folks with 70's GSes of course can replace their points and get better reliability and less maintenance.

A Dyna 2000 system, OTOH, allows you to tinker with advance curves and may help squeeze out a little more performance - at a much higher cost of course.

If you stock ignition is not causing you problems and you're not out to squeeze each HP you can out of the motor, I see no reason to replace at this time.

Comment

On my 1100ED, I'm running Accell coils, coil relay modification (actually powering the entire ignition system) and running stock igniter and pickup.

I'm wired to swap in the Dyna S, but to tell you the truth the stock ignition has been so reliable I'm a little leery of putting the Dyna-S in (and I have two of them purchased used).

I have a very health BLUE spark and no ignition issues at all for my heavy breathing 1166 .

I would spend the money on coils and do the coil relay mod and leave the pickup stock unless it fails.
      Last edited by posplayr; 10-19-2010, 03:21 PM.

Comment

I would carry the Dyna S on a long trip &/or have it ready for someone to overnight ship you but the Stock ones are pretty reliable until the ignitors go as others have said.

Dyna S's are also known for being very reliable too.

Dan
        1980 GS1000G - Sold
        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
        X