Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A little help troubleshooting brake light please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help troubleshooting brake light please.

'81 GS 750 EX
    So the rear light is always on (as it should right?) but it doesn't get brighter when applying either front or rear brake. The light seems to be to bright for regular running use, could it be permanently stuck in the brake position?

All other lights on bike work fine.

Thanks,
    Max

Sounds like you have a brake connection always on. Disconnect one or the other and determine which is causing the problem. Then, play with the sensor adjusting it one way or the other until the light goes out when the brake is not engaged and lights up when it is.

I had to do this twice and it's not hard.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Before you disconnect anything, just lift up on the rear pedal and push out on the handle,
      see if either one is simply not going back to its "home" position.

Then follow cowboy's suggestion, if necessary.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Please check the bulb first. There should be two elements inside.

Comment

Hi,

When my bike had this issue I traced it to the front brake switch. I had to take it apart and reassemble it so that everything was properly positioned. Somehow the innards had moved so that the contacts were stuck closed. Look at this guide to familiarize yourself.

Front Brake Switch Repair
          (by Mr. gravity tester)

Partsnmore.com may have a new front brake switch for $8 or so, but they have a $35 minimum. (I don't really care for their new website layout.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by old_chopper View Post
            Please check the bulb first. There should be two elements inside.
            Done, all is well in as far as the bulb is concerned.

Basscliff - Thank's for the link, will tear down the switch, clean, and report back.

Thanks,
            Max

Comment

Originally posted by Max View Post
              '81 GS 750 EX
              So the rear light is always on (as it should right?) but it doesn't get brighter when applying either front or rear brake. The light seems to be to bright for regular running use, could it be permanently stuck in the brake position?

All other lights on bike work fine.

Thanks,
              Max
              One thing to understand:
              The light has two filaments.
              The one should be on all the time, and when brake is on then the other filiment should come on also.
              So when you say it seems brighter all the time, you will need to determine if both filiments are on. This maybe be hard to see by looking at the bulb (even with red lens off).

Info:
              - the Brown wire is for the tail light,
              - and the WHite wire is for the brake light.
              You could disconnect (back by the tail light, maybe under seat) one at a time to help determine what is going on.

If the brake light is in fact on all the time, you could disconnect the white wire at front brake switch and then the back brake switch to determine which is stuck on before taking either switches apart to try to fix.
              And before you take the front switch apart, try adjusting it. Just loosen the little screws on the switch cover and sliding the little cover in and out.

Oh, two other things:
              1) If/when you do take switch apart, be prepared for little parts to fall out.
              2) Replacement front brake switch is about $18.
              I learnt both of these things about the same time, one directly after the other.

Tell us more what you find.

Last edited by Redman; 10-20-2010, 10:01 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well it was the front brake switch, it was however not the fact that it was stuck because of dirt. The spring holder (plastic slider) was bent at a 45 degree angle right in the middle and had gotten stuck (and I was wondering why the brake pull seemed like 10 kilos of rocks, its like butter now). I temporarily fixed it by melting the plastic together and forming it with some pliers.

Redman - you said that these switches are available, do they come with the little plastic cover that goes on top?

Basscliff - many thanks for the link, it was a tremendous help.

Thanks,
                Max

Comment

Yes they do...talk to your local bike shop
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Max View Post
                    Well it was the front brake switch, ...
                    Redman - you said that these switches are available, do they come with the little plastic cover that goes on top?

Not certain what you mean by the "cover" that is "on top".

But, what I was refereing to Is a complete front brake switch switch unit (#16) that goes on bottom of the front brake master cyclinder. The switch part includes the switch body (which is kinda the cover), all the little internal peices parts (that can go flying), and apparently the screws (I dont recall that, but seems that way in microfische) and the length of cable to reach back to headlight shell and the proper connectors (not shown here).

And I recall it being $18, but that was a maybe 4-5 years ago. And proces will vary from supplier to other supplier (as will shipping cost). Bass Cliff site list a list of good OEM part suppliers.

>>>doah... that is the clutch switch, they look about the same
                    let me fix that.

>>> there
                    Last edited by Redman; 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM. Reason: replace snagged image

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                    X