Fixin or f@*%in my blinkers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixin or f@*%in my blinkers???

Hey, I am having trouble reading the wiring diagram (only the blinker switch part) off bikecliffs website. I am trying to figure out how the blinker switch and control unit work. I am unable to find a left control so got one off another bike. the 82 gs1100g has 5 wires on the blinker circuit and the one I found only has 3, why so many on the gs?? I need to know what wires connect when the signal is turned on. The gs blinker "contact slide piece" is missing or I would have already have it working 8-/
    Last edited by Guest; 10-20-2010, 07:21 PM.

Originally posted by antbanks View Post
    Hey, I am having trouble reading the wiring diagram (only the blinker switch part) off bikecliffs website. I am trying to figure out how the blinker switch and control unit work. I am unable to find a left control so got one off another bike. the 82 gs1100g has 5 wires on the blinker circuit and the one I found only has 3, why so many on the gs?? I need to know what wires connect when the signal is turned on. The gs blinker "contact slide piece" is missing or I would have already have it working 8-/
    You should have a flasher relay with 3 pins and a turn signal control unit with 7 wires. Thte turn signal control unit automatically cancels the flashers if you do not do so manually.
    Here is how the blinker switch and control unit works:

1)The flasher lights are one side connected to ground and the other side goes to the flasher switch pin L.
    2) When you slide the flasher switch it connects that side to the flasher relay and the lights start flashing.
    3) The flasher relay has positive battery on one pin B which powers the flasher lights as the relay pulses.
    4) Another pin, "C" is wired to the turn signal control unit which stops the relay pulsing if you ride over 14km/h for more than 9 seconds

A normal 2 pin automotive flasher relay works if plugged into pin L and B, but the cancelling function will not work. You need the proper 3 pin relay by Suzuki and not a common 3 pin automotive relay, as these usually need a separate ground for the pin E

Hope hat helps you understand the diagram.

Comment

Good information for the flasher relay, but it's the handlebar switch that has him stumped.

Antbanks, the answer was hinted at by Matchless, but was directed at the other end of the wires. The five wires in your stock harness are:
      1. Starts the timing cycle for LEFT turn.
      2. Directs the pulsed power to the LEFT signal.
      3. Cancels the timing cycle for either side.
      4. Directs the pulsed power to the RIGHT signal.
      5. Starts the timing cycle for the RIGHT side.

If you want to retain your auto-canel turn signals, you will have to find another control switch. Look for one from 850 and up, 1980 and newer.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Good information for the flasher relay, but it's the handlebar switch that has him stumped.

Antbanks, the answer was hinted at by Matchless, but was directed at the other end of the wires. The five wires in your stock harness are:

If you want to retain your auto-canel turn signals, you will have to find another control switch. Look for one from 850 and up, 1980 and newer.

Steve thanks, for adding that, I forgot to mention the 5 way switch on the other end! Must be a touch of Altzheimers lite!

Comment

Auto cancel.....no kidding??? that is a surprise, but explains why all the electronics in the blinker circuit. Thanks guys I appreciate the info, anyone happen to have the little slide contact that goes on the blinker circuit??? But yea thanks that simplifies things!!!

One more question...is the way you have the explanation numbered the way the wires are numbered on the switch diagram?

Last edited by Guest; 10-21-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by antbanks View Post
            One more question...is the way you have the explanation numbered the way the wires are numbered on the switch diagram?
            Not necessarily. I do not have a diagram in front of me.

Two other indicators that you might have auto-cancel signals:
            1: If the letters are not worn away, you should see "AUTO TURN" somewhere at the top of the switch housing near the signal switch.
            2: There will be FIVE positions in the slider switch. Those positions will be pretty much like what I detailed above. Positions 1&5 are spring-loaded back toward 2&4. For example: to initiate a LEFT turn, you will push the switch all the way to the #1 position. It will spring back to #2, where it will keep the LEFT signal ON while the speed/distance parameters are being satisfied to turn it OFF. When the control box tells the flasher to stop flashing, the switch stays in the #2 position, but the lights stop flashing. (That's why there are three wires on our "special" flashers.) If your next signal occurrence will be to the RIGHT, note that you will have to move the switch past #3 and #4, all the way to #5, which will start the sequence for the right, then spring back to #4.

I know this does not help you with your immediate situation, but should help when you do get it fixed and start riding again.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If I find the correct left control I or the missing peice to mine I will know how to do it now. I have a custom set up going for the moment But it was a very big help what you told me about the blinkers...after I got to the shop this morning and looked at everything it just kinda fell together...got her all purdied up and slimmed down (for custom sidepanels)...AND it even started after I put the wires back (by the way it looked like 5 guys tried to rewire this thing at different points in her life, it was messy)

Comment

Working...
              X