No announcement yet.

Fuse and Electrical

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is where the burning electrical smell came from. Turns out even though I was sure it was the ignition switch, the smell was just moving up the tank :/

So my question is does this change anything? Could the coil have been the whole problem that caused the fuse to blow etc? Does anyone know where I can get one or the pair for a fair price new? I can google, I just want to make sure you all don't know of something better. I'm still pretty novice and appreciate the advice, thanks!

Comment

So all of the bulbs that were on at the time are burned out. Rear brake light works, but not the running lights back there. I'm looking for a new coil at oldbikebarn:

I'll assume it's best to buy both of them instead of just one, is this correct?

Also found this one for cheap but not sure if it's a good idea to buy it:

Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2010, 09:51 AM. Reason: Adding info

Comment

Funny, the same general scenario just kicked-in with my bike (80 GS850) today. After a 47 mile ride, the turn signals started to work intermittently, then not at all. I then noticed my headlight out when I parked. The top fuse holder was loose, and with pressure-applied, the lights work fine. When I let go, so do the lights...guess I'm getting a new fuse block too. And my bike didn't come with a fuse cover either...didn't even know it was supposed to be there.

Comment

Hi,

It's best practice to replace the pair. Have you tested your coils? If they do need replacement, these are a favorite:

Click the picture for more information on the green 3 ohm Dyna coils.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Last edited by Guest; 11-07-2010, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Perhaps you could get a great deal on a complete wiring harness from this member: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=167988
            And several other parts.
            It may not be an L model but I would think that they are pretty close.

Daniel

Comment

Update

Just as an update to this thread. Turns out it was the r/r that blew for some reason, taking with it the left coil, the igniter, a fuse, most of my lights. I have already installed new coils and I'm getting the DS3-2 ignition instead of obscene prices for a new igniter. I had that r/r for less than 6 months when it blew so I'm trying to use the warranty but I will keep you up to date. Thanks for all the comments and help that led to figuring this out!

Comment

Working...
              X