GS850GL - where does this wire go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GL - where does this wire go?

I removed the carbs and battery, and now that I've got everything together, there's a couple of wires left and I have no clue where they connect. One is yellow with a black stripe, and has a screw terminal connector on it (like the pos/neg battery cable, but smaller). The other wire is black with a white stripe, and a female blade connector. These two wires are about 8 to 12 inches long, and connect to the main wiring harness just in front of the battery using two bullet connectors.

Here's a photo:

For some reason, I no longer have tail or brake lights, and I'm guessing it's because of this connector. (but, I'll admit I didn't really check if it had tail/brake lights before I started tearing it apart to rebuild the carbs)

Anyhow, thanks in advance for the help!

Charles.

I am thinking that is nothing stock, is something that was added. So we are not going to recognize it by sight.

But you say it goes to main wiring harness, so must be original. So lets think about it some more.

Hum. Those wire colors are the colors of the gas gauge sender, but are different type of connectors.
    But I see what looks like the gaus gauge wires/connectors in the the background of your photo.

And you say it goes to main wairing harness, so would not be what goes to the sender in the tank.

So..... still dont know.

Last edited by Redman; 10-31-2010, 08:50 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Don't really know, but they look like the fuel gage connections at the tank... I belive they should stay connected to the tank, and you use the bullet connections to disconnect the tank from the harness...

That's my guess anyways - take a look on the backside of the fuel tank & see if there's a place for them at the gage.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperCharles View Post
        ....... These two wires are about 8 to 12 inches long, and connect to the main wiring harness just in front of the battery using two bullet connectors.
        Oh, it goes to the main harness thru the two connectors that can see in the background of your photo (by the battery).

Yah, Okay, WOuld then be what should connect on the sender unit in the tank, as hikermike says.

Usally no need to disconnect these to remove the tank. Usally just disconnect at the two connectors there by the battery.

Last edited by Redman; 10-31-2010, 09:01 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Charles, have you taken the tailpiece off yet? the tail light/brake light wires run up the left (clutch side of the frame rail) and then run under the tailpiece to a 3 wire connector , wire colours should be-black/white=earth,brown=brake light(I think)&white=tail light(again I think) at least that's what comes up in my GS 550,750,1000 chain&shaft drive manuals.I have had problems with that connector on my wifes 550.Take it apart and give the connections a good clean and spray white grease into the connector block, if they look like the wires in the photo it's probably corrosion.Does your bike have a fuel gauge? if so those wires probably go to the gauge in the instrument panel and as the other guys said join onto the two wires at the tank-here's an easy test, turn on the ignition and touch the wires together while looking at the gauge. Does the needle go straight to full?-if so then that is what they are for.Hope this helps. Johnny

Comment

Okay, sweet, this is the fuel sender connector. i disconnected it from the tank, because the tank needs to be acid-etched and maybe coated. (Will try just the acid first), and completely forgot about it. (Not used to gas gauges). Will have to troubleshoot the taillight, it's probably something simple.

Thanks guys!

Charles.

Comment

Working...
            X