Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plugs that die after 2 hr riding

Hey all,
    my # 2 plug died after being replaced with only two hours on it. Then a week later, the #4 died with the same amount of riding time on it.

I found this because the bike wouldn't idle a start up and I checked by feeling the headers. the dead plug had a stone cold header. Once I replaced the plug, all was fine.

Any ideas as to what would wreck these plugs so quickly? Bike has new condensors, points, plugs, stator, valve shims and carb rebuild.
    Thanks in advance

Dead how? Fouled? Burned up? Broken?
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

leave the champion plugs alone!! no NK, no nippondenso, no E3, no split fire, no autolite, no bosch...

get a new set of NGK "e" "es" I like "EG" style but they aare double the price of the yellow box normal NGKs'

if it dies just as soon go to the next hotter plug... if it dies again .

you need to determine if oil consumption is fouling your plug ?? lack of fuel control or too rich running comndition fuel fouling.

excessive resistance in the resistor plug is a common cause ( 8K ohms or near to it and all 4 should be similar.

bad plug wires, low voltage at the coils maybe a combination of both or all of the above.
      SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

I had problems getting one of my GS1150 EF's to run. Had to clean the plugs and have a fully charged battery or she wouldn't fire. Swapped the coils and HT leads and the problem was solved. Starts like a dream every time.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Dead how? Fouled? Burned up? Broken?
          other than mild soot, they look normal. Now, i don't know if that soot is causing the problem but I would think not after only 2 hours

Thanks for the ideas. I'll try the carb tuning again, then the hotter plugs, then coils if need be.
          Last edited by Guest; 11-02-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Not to thread jack but, Im having a similar issue on my 80 GS1000. I have 2 new(er) coils from a 78 and wanted to switch them out but they have different connectors then the coils that are currently on my bike. 78= Bullet connectors, 80= clip in connectors. Anyone have suggestions for making the 78 coils work with the clip in connectors?

Comment

Not to thread jack but, Im having a similar issue on my 80 GS1000. I have 2 new(er) coils from a 78 and wanted to switch them out but they have different connectors then the coils that are currently on my bike. 78= Bullet connectors, 80= clip in connectors. Anyone have suggestions for making the 78 coils work with the clip in connectors?
              If the coils came from a 1978 bike with points, they will be the wrong resistance to work with the electronic ignition on the 1980 bike. The points coils are usually 5 ohm while the electronic ignition coils are 3 ohms.

Comment

Hotter plugs have fixed the problem for teh most part. found through a compression test its time for rings. Suported that argument with oil usage of about half litre for 1000 kms.
                Thanks guys

Comment

Make sure you have 12 v at the coil !!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X