1982 GS 450L No Spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 GS 450L No Spark

Howdy all, I just got a 1982 GS 450L from my dad. Yay! Free...However with free comes the fun issue of no spark.

I was told that a while back it was lent to my uncle who then let the battery die,and jumped it and ran it without out the battery for a week. when it was returned to my dad via trailer it had lost it's spark --Oh noes.

After this my dad put the bike into storage for 9 years, and now it's my toy to fix over the winter.

Any ideas on where to what my issue is? I've ordered a service manual from oldbikerbarn, but i'm off today and tomorrow so figured i'd ask -- darn shipping times .

Also any other random advice for things I will want to check to bring the bike back to life would be awesome!

Originally posted by iFelix View Post
    Howdy all, I just got a 1982 GS 450L from my dad. Yay! Free...However with free comes the fun issue of no spark.

I was told that a while back it was lent to my uncle who then let the battery die,and jumped it and ran it without out the battery for a week. when it was returned to my dad via trailer it had lost it's spark --Oh noes.

After this my dad put the bike into storage for 9 years, and now it's my toy to fix over the winter.

Any ideas on where to what my issue is? I've ordered a service manual from oldbikerbarn, but i'm off today and tomorrow so figured i'd ask -- darn shipping times .

Also any other random advice for things I will want to check to bring the bike back to life would be awesome!
    I don't see how your uncle ran bike for even a few hours without battery- did you mean he ran it with a dead/dying battery? If he jump started it with running car, it's very possible he damaged bike's charging system.
    Anyways, find the link to Basscliff's site and do some reading as it's a great resource. Your uncle had electrical problem, but after 9 years in storage, lots of other issues will confront you- most noteably the carbs will require a thorough cleaning and there are no shortcuts allowed!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. iFelix,

If the bike was jump started from a running car then chances are good that something is fried. But test everything before you start spending money on parts. You'll find links to testing procedures for the ignition system and charging system either in your "mega-welcome" or on my little website. Let me just dump a TON of GS lovin' on you.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the information and the welcome, I see I have a bunch of reading ahead of me (Yay! who doesn't like reading?)

In the coming up weeks I'll start my war with this bike! I can't wait to get it running, maybe I'll keep a thread running along the whole way of the whole ordeal (=

Comment

Working...
        X