No announcement yet.

Why Do We Need A Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery! we don't need no stinking battery. - or do we?

not all bikes need a battery but there are many that will not run without one..

having a 3 phase AC dynamo and all DC onboard systems presents a unique set of challenges.

so how do we get a nice even DC power without a battery.

1. use 1 leg of the AC dynamo and a diode??
    devising a "HALF WAVE" balanced system where maximum output is equal to the ign and all lights including the brake lights when used....
    you'll only get 6 volts. so change all the light bulbs on the bike and find a 6V igntion system.

2. use 2 AC legs of the dynamo and a 4 diode pack - bingo!! called a "FULL WAVE" 12 volts above idle and 20 volts at running RPM. get a volkswagen regulator and mount it after the diode pack. hook a capacitor to that and run the harness from the other side of the cap.. be prepared cause it is AMF harley that runs stuff like this.

3.magneto for ignition and do not run any DC lights- or possibly a total custom AC lighting coil and mounts for necessary equipment.

4. it is easier to have a battery and no charging system on any GS.
    SUZUKI , There is no substitute

Comment

Originally posted by trippivot View Post
      not all bikes need a battery but there are many that will not run without one..

having a 3 phase AC dynamo and all DC onboard systems presents a unique set of challenges.

so how do we get a nice even DC power without a battery.

1. use 1 leg of the AC dynamo and a diode??
      devising a "HALF WAVE" balanced system where maximum output is equal to the ign and all lights including the brake lights when used....
      you'll only get 6 volts. so change all the light bulbs on the bike and find a 6V igntion system.

2. use 2 AC legs of the dynamo and a 4 diode pack - bingo!! called a "FULL WAVE" 12 volts above idle and 20 volts at running RPM. get a volkswagen regulator and mount it after the diode pack. hook a capacitor to that and run the harness from the other side of the cap.. be prepared cause it is AMF harley that runs stuff like this.

3.magneto for ignition and do not run any DC lights- or possibly a total custom AC lighting coil and mounts for necessary equipment.

4. it is easier to have a battery and no charging system on any GS.

I think the most simple, cheapest and dependable choice is to buy a good battery and keep all the charging system connections clean. Works rather well actually.

Earl
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Check out Wal Mart for batteries much cheaper than $80. Hard to beat online prices, actually, but the shipping price to Canada might defeat the purpose. Also, not sure the cheaper brands will last more than a couple years, esp. if they are non-AGM. Having said all that, the premise of your experiment is certainly interesting.
        '82 GS1100E

Comment

you can put a capacitor if you remove the battery and the starter.
          Put one rated 25v and up, you can fit one of any voltage higher than 17v just to be sure to not fry the capacitor.
          I will start with a 4800 mocrofarad and work from there.If at idle your headlight is yellow or pulsating put a higher number, ex 5500 microfarad.
          I usually remove the battery and starter on my bike and keep only the kickstarter.
          when i do this i remove all the starting system and put a capacitor where the battery hook up.Leave the r-r and the charging system stock except for the capacitor.
          The capacitor work like a filter and replace the battery.
          Never have any problem with this set up, last time it was a drz440 supermoto with only the kickstarter.I run like this 2 years before reputting everything back to stock, to sell it.
          The capacitor worth around 2-3$, its cheap.
          the only thing to watch is to put the capacitor in a "dry" place, they dont like water.
          i will check here i may have 2 25v 5??? microfarad radial capacitors here.
          Marc
          https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
          1978 GS1000C X2
          1978 GS1000E X2
          1979 GS1000S
          1979 gs1000
          1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
            you can put a capacitor if you remove the battery and the starter.

Never have any problem with this set up, last time it was a drz440 supermoto with only the kickstarter.
            Marc, have you done this on a Suzuki GS? I would have thought the kick start would not develop enough RPM for the stator to generate enough power to run the ignition without a little bit of a battery.
            Last edited by tkent02; 11-20-2010, 10:30 AM.
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No,
              the drz has a "battery " ignition, i was easier to start with the capacitor than the battery.
              The voltage is on the limit of the r-r with a capacitor.
              I still have a kz440 with a capacitor here.
              the ignition is a points system, work fine.I dont have a gs with a kickstarter here to give it a try.why suzuki dosent leave the kick on a 1000???
              The only thing i would check on a old gs is to upgrade the r-r with a newer unit.just like the r1 one i have on my bike.
              Marc
              https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ie_twisted.gif
              1978 GS1000C X2
              1978 GS1000E X2
              1979 GS1000S
              1979 gs1000
              1983 gs400e

Comment

If your reasons was to save weight and space try looking up

Smallest, Lightest, Most Powerful Lithium Motorsports Batteries - the First with Built-In Jump-Starting! Top Rated MICRO-START Jump-Starter Power Supplies

My mate just got one and it is pretty small.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                  So today I was rooting around my basement and I came across this...

It resparked my interest in this subject.

Do you guys think I could just ziptie this cute little thing into the bike hook it up and forget about it? or will it cause an explosion, dismemberment, decapitation, castration or otherwise?

sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one about the same subject.

I'm customizing a 1979 GS 750 and am looking to loose the big battery and the starter as well. I was wondering if this battery worked, it's cheap and small which is what I'm looking for!

Also, the Honda R/R mod should work fine with the starter delete I asume, am I correct?

What I gather in this thread is that without the starter I really dont need much of a battery to maintain the electrical system since it is the biggest draw of electricity because there is no alternator/stator supplying power during a start, therefore drawing on the battery.

I also plan on going to electronic ignition, how would this effect the retrofitted Ignition? would I need more power from the the battery than the one mentioned above or should the stator be able to provide the necessary power? I asume it would be fine?

thanks a lot!
                  Last edited by Guest; 09-16-2011, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmoore View Post
                    sorry to resurrect an old thread but I thought it better than starting a new one about the same subject.

I'm customizing a 1979 GS 750 and am looking to loose the big battery and the starter as well. I was wondering if this battery worked, it's cheap and small which is what I'm looking for!

Also, the Honda R/R mod should work fine with the starter delete I asume, am I correct?

What I gather in this thread is that without the starter I really dont need much of a battery to maintain the electrical system since it is the biggest draw of electricity because there is no alternator/stator supplying power during a start, therefore drawing on the battery.

I also plan on going to electronic ignition, how would this effect the retrofitted Ignition? would I need more power from the the battery than the one mentioned above or should the stator be able to provide the necessary power? I asume it would be fine?

thanks a lot!
                    The battery I found ended up being dead so I didn't get to test with it. I did, however, switch to a capacitor setup. It still has some kinks but it does work.

Here is the newer thread about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                      The battery I found ended up being dead so I didn't get to test with it. I did, however, switch to a capacitor setup. It still has some kinks but it does work.

Here is the newer thread about it...
                      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=179724
                      Hmmmm, I think I would like to stay with a small battery rather than a capacitor setup. It seems more plug and play to me?

has anyone here deleted the starter & moved to a significantly smaller battery successfully? It seems pretty simple and totally doable.

Comment

Working...
                      X