Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove the ignition on a 1983 GS400?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I remove the ignition on a 1983 GS400?

Hey all,

A little while ago I bought a GS400E that did not come with a key. After getting quoted key cutting fees and comparing to ignition replacement I've decided to get a key cut. Both routes would require the ignition coming out, though, so I would like to know how I do this.

I would like to keep as many wires/cables/components in place as I can. Is there a simple way to do this, and I just cannot figure it out?

You may have to consult a manual for more detail ( BassCliff's website) but essentially, the ignition/key module is attached to the upper triple tree by 2 bolts (underside of the triple tree). All the wires that feed it are in one plastic connector that plugs in. Disconnect plug and remove the bolts and the ignition cylinder is free.

Thinking about it, you will likely need to remove the headlight to get to it but that should be straightforward.

If you are doing this, you may want to have the gascap and seat lock rekeyed to accept the one key. It'll make life easier. when you get keys cut make several ( at least 3). One for the bike, one to have in your wallet when you ride and one to keep at home. You don't want to be 50 miles from home and lose your one key now do you? Another good idea is to put your ignition key on a lanyard ( those fabric necklass/ badgholder thingies...find them in the dollar store). When you get off the bike pull the key and wear it around your neck, you'll be less likely to lose or missplace it.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Guest; 11-11-2010, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Your 400E should be like my 450E, which means Spyug's right on the money.

Headlight will have to come off for sure, and depending on the length of your allen key, you may need to remove the instruments also.
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys. Got it off easily, and now I'm actually able to start the bike.

Comment

Working...
        X