12v power source

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12v power source

has anybody installed a 12v power source on there bikes for GPS or cell phone to plug into? would this be a good idea given these bikes tendency to have electrical problems

There are lots of threads on here about people who've connected an outlet via an inline fuse back to the battery. In fact, I'll probably consider doing it next year after getting my stuff sorted.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ok thanks i guess thats what the search feature is for lol

Comment

You could also use this 12V power source to attach a tender to keep the battery charged over any period when you are not using the bike. Or for any other 12V accessories.

BELOW: A couple of pictures of an accessory 12V jack on Andre's (AKA MATCHLESS) bike. He has done a very professional job, and a good design to be followed by others that are interested in this type of accessory.

It is also fitted with a weatherproof plug as can be seen in the pictures.

Last edited by Guest; 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM.

Comment

The devices you mentioned don't pull much current, so they won't strain the electrics much at all.

I've always had a hell of a time keeping a cigar lighter style plug in place on a bike.

You also need to consider whether you want your lighter socket to remain powered when the bike is off. The socket on my V-Strom is on a relayed circuit, since I easily forget to unplug stuff. A GPS probably won't run down a battery overnight, but it could if you leave it plugged in for a couple of days.

Some people prefer to wire direct, so the socket is always powered -- good for running an air pump, or charging the battery. I've also seen setups where there's a switch you can use to choose whether it's on a relayed circuit or direct to the battery.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
            The devices you mentioned don't pull much current, so they won't strain the electrics much at all.

I've always had a hell of a time keeping a cigar lighter style plug in place on a bike.

You also need to consider whether you want your lighter socket to remain powered when the bike is off. The socket on my V-Strom is on a relayed circuit, since I easily forget to unplug stuff. A GPS probably won't run down a battery overnight, but it could if you leave it plugged in for a couple of days.

Some people prefer to wire direct, so the socket is always powered -- good for running an air pump, or charging the battery. I've also seen setups where there's a switch you can use to choose whether it's on a relayed circuit or direct to the battery.
            I did run a switch to an otherwise always on volt meter (Show Chrome), but left my aux plug direct wired to the battery so I can charge the battery without pulling the seat or any other covers.

My plug is mounted on the handlebar near the chock lever. I usually have a cell phone (blackberry) in a tank bag but plugged in. Generally not but I have had it pull out on a ride from a swinging cord I imagine.

Comment

Radio Shack 5 dollar cigarette lighter socket wired into the accessory circuit on the fuse box. I can run the GPS, charge the phone, and use the portable air pump as well. I can also reverse in 12 volts from the solar powered battery tender and I've even used it to power the bike while doing electrical testing. I made a rain shield from an old bike inner tube that protects it all from down pours.
              1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                Radio Shack 5 dollar cigarette lighter socket wired into the accessory circuit on the fuse box. I can run the GPS, charge the phone, and use the portable air pump as well. I can also reverse in 12 volts from the solar powered battery tender and I've even used it to power the bike while doing electrical testing. I made a rain shield from an old bike inner tube that protects it all from down pours.
                Pictures please.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                  Pictures please.
                  I'll get some this weekend when I get back. I'll dig up my accessories for it too
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                  X