Clear All

Please, not such a lonely number!
    "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
      Please, not such a lonely number!
      Well, it is really going to be cold tonight, at least a 2 dog, perhaps even a 3 dog night...

Comment

I appreciate all the responses, but I suspect I was not clear enough in my request/explanation.
        First, I have rebuilt some stators.
        Second, I despise the 18 gauge wire Suzuki chose in their ultimate cheapness.
        Third, I want to use 16 gauge wire. Larger gauge, less loss, less heat, fewer failures (years of experience).
        Fourth, I have tried reaming out the factory biscuits with disappointing results. They don't leak, but fitment is tricky, at best. If you ever looked at one, the path is not straight through from one side to the other. It angles, perhaps to minimize leaks?
        Fifth, I would like to have some designed from the beginning to use 16 gauge wire.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
          Well, it is really going to be cold tonight, at least a 2 dog, perhaps even a 3 dog night...
          Three, for sure.
          "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Hey, even one dog is plenty ... if you have the right dog.

or

If it gets any colder than that, it's just too darn cold.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I appreciate all the responses, but I suspect I was not clear enough in my request/explanation.
              First, I have rebuilt some stators.
              Second, I despise the 18 gauge wire Suzuki chose in their ultimate cheapness.
              Third, I want to use 16 gauge wire. Larger gauge, less loss, less heat, fewer failures (years of experience).
              Fourth, I have tried reaming out the factory biscuits with disappointing results. They don't leak, but fitment is tricky, at best. If you ever looked at one, the path is not straight through from one side to the other. It angles, perhaps to minimize leaks?
              Fifth, I would like to have some designed from the beginning to use 16 gauge wire.
              It was in there,I missed it.Probably going to have to cast one as Dogma suggested .

Comment

This company shows their silicone rubber products being used to make industrial gaskets and such. Kits start at $25-$30.
                Make repairs, recreate parts, or make your own custom parts for prototype or production applications.

This seems to be the most likely candidate -- they mention making gaskets from it. Shore 70 hardness is the same as most o-rings, which seems about right.

However, they don't list any specs on temperature or chemical resistance. Aaaaarggh.

Seems like it wouldn't be all that hard to make a mold from a sample "biscuit" then cast a bunch of blanks and drill holes for the wires. But would it be worth the trouble and expense? You'd also have to take into account that old biscuits are usually somewhat shrunken, so the mold might need to be modified a bit.

I don't think there's any particular reason the wires are at an angle. I've seen them at various angles and straight through. I think it's just happenstance during manufacturing.
                Last edited by bwringer; 12-12-2010, 02:54 PM.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hmmmm... what about this stuff?

The benefits of original formula + family friendly formula = the best Sugru ever!

It's basically a putty that hardens. You could squish it into shape when installing the stator. Temp-resistant to 180C (356F) -- seems like that should do the job.
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Thank you for the email. We call that piece a grommet and you can special order one if you need just that part. Part# is: RGR005 and they are $5/ea. Please call me at 1-800-521-0277 and ask for Amanda.

Thanks,

Amanda
                    Rick's Motorsport Electrics, Inc.
                    30 Owens Ct. #2
                    Hampstead, NH 03841

I ordered a pair. It will be interesting to see the fit and finish of a grommet that was not molded onto the wires.

Comment

Let me know what you think. I also contacted them and got the same response from Amanda.

I was getting ready to order a few of them, then saw your post.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Will do. I'll post some pics also. It's a shame their Search "feature" does not allow searching on part numbers.

Comment

Well, here are the grommet and wires pictures as promised.

The red wire is standard 18 gauge stranded copper wire.
                          The black wire is high temp 16 gauge stranded wire, which is what I am going to use.
                          If you compare the size of the holes in the grommet, the 18 gauge won't fit, much less the 16 gauge.
                          The holes measure approx. 1mm. (It is rubber, so it was difficult to measure w/o stretching the rubber.)
                          The 18 gauge wire measures 2.4mm, the 16 gauge wire measures 3.2mm.
                          One thing the high temp wire has going for it is the sheathing. It has some type of thin cloth outer sheathing, and then a thick inner sheath of some type of white plastic (at least it appears to be plastic).

Perhaps 18 gauge high temp wire could be forced through the holes (especially if lubricated first). For the 16 gauge, I will have to decide how to enlarge the holes. We'll see.

Comment

Couple of possible approaches here.

Obviously, you could drill the holes a bit bigger until you can squeeze the wire through. You can probably get the "normal" wire through without drilling.

For the cloth-sheathed wire, you'd just need to drill a bit bigger, and likely squish in a dab of case sealer or RTV where the wires exit just to be safe.

You could also make a slit from the outside of the grommet to the hole. Pop the wires in, and re-seal with RTV or case sealer. Overall, I think it would be best to enlarge the holes as needed.

Fortunately, the grommet area isn't bathed in oil and it isn't under pressure.
                            Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Couple of possible approaches here.

Obviously, you could drill the holes a bit bigger until you can squeeze the wire through. You can probably get the "normal" wire through without drilling.
                              For the cloth-sheathed wire, you'd just need to drill a bit bigger, and likely squish in a dab of case sealer or RTV where the wires exit just to be safe.
                              This is what I tried with the first one. The drill bit just dug into the rubber and failed to enlarge it correctly. I think for the next one I will try the Dremel and see if my HF "special box" has some type of grinder bit or something other than a standard drill bit. I started looking when we were installing the lower control arm, but I was a bit preoccupied at the time.

You could also make a slit from the outside of the grommet to the hole. Pop the wires in, and re-seal with RTV or case sealer. Overall, I think it would be best to enlarge the holes as needed.
                              I ended up making the slit on the first one because I could not get the original wires out any other way. The exacerbated the drilling process.
                              Fortunately, the grommet area isn't bathed in oil and it isn't under pressure.
                              I wondered if it was under pressure, since it had a direct connection to the crankcase (you know, pistons pistoning, crankshaft cranking, etc.). I did use a bit of silicone (I forget which type, but it was probably Ultra Copper). I put around 500 miles or so on it so far and it does not leak a bit, but I was not pleased with the fit because I could not enlarge the holes enough.
                              I am considering making a grommet mold since I now have a perfect, unused grommet. Just tossing the idea around, but I was wondering what material to make the mold out of (one where the newly fashioned grommet won't stick when I go to remove it) and what materials to use if I took this route. I started looking at high-temp silicone as a material. However, the grommet is 0.500" thick, so it would take a while to cure.

Comment

A machinist once told me that rubber machines OK while frozen. I don't know if that requires liquid nitrogen, or just ice. That may have been just urethanes too. Aren't I helpful?
                                Dogma
                                --
                                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                                '80 GS850 GLT
                                '80 GS1000 GT
                                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Working...
                                X