Source for rubber biscuit for stator wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
    A machinist once told me that rubber machines OK while frozen. I don't know if that requires liquid nitrogen, or just ice. That may have been just urethanes too. Aren't I helpful?
    You are awesome, dude. The problem I am having is finding the rubber, urethane, etc. that is thick enough. The grommet is half an inch thick, and I have not seen anything even close to that.

Comment

Thick enough to machine a grommet from stock? The machinist also told me that you only have a few minutes to work before the part warms up. I doubt you'd be able to cut one from solid sheet or block that someone like McMaster sells.

Hmmm. This machinist may also have been talking about grinding instead of cutting. Well, maybe it's an option to explore if nothing better turns up. Freeze it, chuck up on a rat tail file and growl it outta there.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Solid heels from old shoes or boots or from a shoe repair shop should work just fine.
        Also, before the days of fancy silicone, etc, gaskets and machinery oil seals and drive belts were often made from leather Stacking laminations horizontally would probably work well also.

Earl
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

IIRC, the bands on the transmission of the Model T were made of leather.
          I can see myself going to a shoe repair shop and asking for their old shoe and boot heels. I may stop by one and see if they would sell me an entire sole made of flexible rubber-type material.
          I appreciate the ideas, please continue to post if you think of something. At $5 a pop it would be nice to find a more cost-effective solution.

Comment

In some circles a rubber biscuit is slang for hockey puck.
            Which got me to thinking. Maybe you could freeze one and then machine it.
            Just freeze it again if it warms up.

Comment

Heck..i would just squeeze a big thick pancake of silicone on a piece of waxed paper and let it harden real good..then just trim myself a new one out of that. Slit it to accept the wire pass thru and then silicone the slit shut arouind the wire. Its not a high pressure oil sealing area there anyways..Just needs to seal to keep oil from seeping and leaking out the stator cover there. Or maybe find a thick piece of neoprene and fashion one???
              Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-30-2010, 11:10 AM.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Heck..i would just squeeze a big thick pancake of silicone on a piece of waxed paper and let it harden real good..then just trim myself a new one out of that. Slit it to accept the wire pass thru and then silicone the slit shut arouind the wire. Its not a high pressure oil sealing area there anyways..Just needs to seal to keep oil from seeping and leaking out the stator cover there.
                That is what I had suggested in post #29, just with a mold. Not sure which would be more work, a mold or all the carving. Seems to be the most cost-effective at this time.
                Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                Or maybe find a thick piece of neoprene and fashion one???
                I haven't been able to find any that is 1/2" at a reasonable price (yet). Still looking.

Comment

I would think just cutting one out would work..probably a dab of three bond around the edges to be sure it seals real clean too..probablu wont get a factory smoothe edge while trimming..but it seems doable!!!
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

O.K., let's say I did something like that. Perhaps use a piece of PVC pipe to make a circle (2 fer 1). How long does it take to cure silicone 1/2" thick? Understanding it is temperature dependent, let's say at 70 degrees F.
                    Hmmm, did some research and it seems it differs for each type and brand. Probably be best to do a batch of several at a time, perhaps let it cure for a week or two. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      O.K., let's say I did something like that. Perhaps use a piece of PVC pipe to make a circle (2 fer 1). How long does it take to cure silicone 1/2" thick? Understanding it is temperature dependent, let's say at 70 degrees F.
                      Hmmm, did some research and it seems it differs for each type and brand. Probably be best to do a batch of several at a time, perhaps let it cure for a week or two. Any thoughts?
                      How many do you expect to need? I've been assuming you want just one or two, but sometimes I think you have more o a production run in mind. Knowing this would help steer ideas.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Not production in that I want to make 2000 and sell them.
                        But if I make 1 circle, which should make 2 grommets, why not double it up and give me twice the stash?
                        Also, there will be some loss. If this was a production line, I might assume a 90% yield. With a new, homemade, hand process, I will be lucky to break a 50% yield. So if I need 2 grommets, I need to make 2 circles to insure that I meet my needs.

I purchased 2 grommets from Rick's from information in this thread and paid $5 each. It is a high-quality piece that should fit the factoy 18 gauge wire perfectly.
                        However, I am going to have to modify them to fit my 16 gauge wire. If I make my own I can design them from the start for the 16 gauge wire I am using.
                        Hope this makes sense.
                        Last edited by Guest; 01-01-2011, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Pulled the grommets out this morning. They are not half-circles, so that idea is out. They have a radius, but then are a bit longer than just a half-circle. Perhaps modeling clay? This is a low-budget thing and I may only make a couple, so the on-line rubber mats I have seen exceed the budget. There is one of those art stores nearby, I wonder if they would have an idea of a suitable mold-making material that would not break the bank.
                          AFA the total quantity, I have 6 stators, but 2 of the cores are damaged and may not be rebuildable. The other 4 have not been unwound, so IDK if they are damaged either.

Comment

Originally posted by GS1100GK
                            For the holes, you can heat a nail with a torch (hold with a pair of pliers) and then push it through the grommet.

It's helpful to have the grommet on a piece of wood or metal with the hole you are making over a slightly larger hole in the wood- sort of like you would if you were drilling it in a drill press.

- JC

PS- You might try a male bullet connector on the end of your wire to force it through the grommet hole, then you can clip it off after pulling the wire through.
                            Thanks, I like the nail idea, I'll give that a try.
                            AFA threading the wire, I'll have to see. The high-temp wire has a cloth-like external wrap, but then there is an internal insulator that is real hard plastic. With a little something to ease the way (I would normally use the word "lube" but it might be misconstrued ) it should slip through.
                            The project has been tabled during the inclement weather. I do the epoxying and curing in my unheated garage, and it is current too cool to set either the epoxy or silicone.

Comment

Update

I took the first Rick's grommet and drilled it out using my Dremel tool and a bit from my $5 HF dremel kit. Angle cut the wires so the insulation could slip through the hole, lubricated with marine grease. Success! Onward and upward.

Comment

Working...
                              X