Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much current do you run through your relay (s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Yamaha has a neat feature for the headlight.

A relay controls the headlight and it is turned on by the stator. A diode rectifies on leg of the stator and it kicks on the headlight when the bike starts. So when cranking ( or kicking) the engine the headlight doesn't drain the battery.

When the engine stops it stays on for a little bit then goes off. I plan to incorporate this into my Suzuki this winter because it's a real good idea.
    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
      My Yamaha has a neat feature for the headlight.

A relay controls the headlight and it is turned on by the stator. A diode rectifies on leg of the stator and it kicks on the headlight when the bike starts. So when cranking ( or kicking) the engine the headlight doesn't drain the battery.

When the engine stops it stays on for a little bit then goes off. I plan to incorporate this into my Suzuki this winter because it's a real good idea.
      If you are going to use a relay to power the headlamp , why not wire it NC powered from the ignition SW. Relay is energized by Start which turns headlamp off during cranking. See attached for the concept.

Comment

I like the way the headlight goes off if the engine stops, it's kinda automatic.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          If you are going to use a relay to power the headlamp , why not wire it NC powered from the ignition SW. Relay is energized by Start which turns headlamp off during cranking. See attached for the concept.
          I have another drawing of exactly the same thing. I have it installed on my wife's bike.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll post a schematic of how the auto off circuit works, someone might be interested in it.

Comment

I seem to remember some sort of a headlight delay circuit on my KZ400 many, many years ago. I know it waited until the engine was running, then turned on the light. Once on, it would stay on, even if the engine quit. No idea what was in that circuitry.

My 1300 Voyager also had something along that line. Somehow, the headlight relay grounded through the starter circuit. Once the starter button was pushed (and released), the headlight would come on. You could actually run the bike without the headlight if you turned the key on then push-started the (900-pound) bike.

Looking forward to see your circuit posted, Duaneage.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

The Yamaha circuit keeps ALL lights off until the engine starts, with the exception of oil and neutral. I plan to do something similar and once I have the wires on a typical GS identified I'll post it. It will be a plug in modification that doesn't require much cutting or splicing.

I was going to post the schematic for the XS400 but it's hard to follow their diagram and symbols.

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                  I was going to post the schematic for the XS400 but it's hard to follow their diagram and symbols.
                  Can you PM or e-mail it to me anyway?

Thanks.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Got it, thanks.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                    X