battery tender on 82 gs1100e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery tender on 82 gs1100e

just added a 82 gs1100e to my collection and i wanted to hook a battery tender up to it since its winter. looks like the battery is buried in the center of the earth. is there an easy way to hook up a tender? and if not im not even exactly sure how to get to the battery.

Yep

Pigtails!! Easily available at any site that sells Battery Tenders. (Do a search on the internet.)

That should solve your problem but there will be many others coming along soon with the same advice.
    Last edited by rockford; 12-16-2010, 09:25 PM.
    1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Before I installed pigtails I would clamp the positive to the starter relay's battery terminal and then the negative clamp to a nearby bolt head. You don't want to connect it to the relay's starter terminal

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyToys View Post
        Before I installed pigtails I would clamp the positive to the starter relay's battery terminal and then the negative clamp to a nearby bolt head. You don't want to connect it to the relay's starter terminal
        Personally, I would just install the pigtails at those locations and be done with it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bored people!

Originally posted by rockford View Post
          That should solve your problem but there will be many others coming along soon with the same advice.
          Don't worry! There's lots more advice coming!

Comment

Originally posted by kmontague View Post
            looks like the battery is buried in the center of the earth.
            It is !! but get familiar with what it takes to get it out. If you have had an overcharge its gonna need water and possibly a baking soda bath. Keep the battery tray and surrounding area clean and free of corrosion.

I bet there is less than 10 steps to removing the battery from your bike .
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

That's it!

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              It is !! but get familiar with what it takes to get it out. If you have had an overcharge its gonna need water and possibly a baking soda bath. Keep the battery tray and surrounding area clean and free of corrosion.

I bet there is less than 10 steps to removing the battery from your bike .
              Yeah! Let's keep this one-answer-needed post going!!

Comment

Yeah! Let's keep this one-answer-needed post going!!

OK....

#1 - Remove the seat (Thats a 3 handed operation on a EZ /ED)

#2 ?
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Hmmm. EZs must be a lot different than my ED. Getting to my battery is the second worst PITA of the bike, getting the carbs off is the first.
                  Since you already know you need a pigtail, I will give you a source. I go to Tractor Supply Company and get some trailer connectors. I get 2 sets out of each. I have them on 2 bikes, 1 car and the workbench.
                  I hang my pigtail out the left side of the bike, and it doubles for a voltage check point. It tucks in nicely when not in use.

Comment

Let'a go!

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Hmmm. EZs must be a lot different than my ED. Getting to my battery is the second worst PITA of the bike, getting the carbs off is the first.
                    Since you already know you need a pigtail, I will give you a source. I go to Tractor Supply Company and get some trailer connectors. I get 2 sets out of each. I have them on 2 bikes, 1 car and the workbench.
                    I hang my pigtail out the left side of the bike, and it doubles for a voltage check point. It tucks in nicely when not in use.
                    Alright!!! Here we go!!!!! Let's see if we can take a needed 10 word response and turn in into a 5 or 6 page set of repsonses.

Comment

Alright!!! Here we go!!!!! Let's see if we can take a needed 10 word response and turn in into a 5 or 6 page set of repsonses.
                      LOL! No, let's give him the Microsoft answer "Pigtails!". It is completely accurate, yet tells him exactly nothing. Dealer's choice.
                      Lighten up. There are many ways to skin a rabbit.
                      AFA getting to the battery, remove the seat. Remove the tank (pulling the fuel and the vacuum line). Remove the tank mounting bracket. Remove the sidecovers for safekeeping. Remove the air filter box. I usually remove the forward hose clamp and take the rubber hose with it. (You will see.). The battery is now exposed. Since this is not something you want to do all the time, connect your pigtail at this time and position it the way you want it. I have hung it through the right side of the bike and the left, and found the left better. Your call. You really don't want to do all this stuff again, so when you go back together be certain everything seals well.
                      Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2010, 12:08 AM.

Comment

While you are in there, consider upgrading your battery to a sealed, AGM battery.

That way, you will never have to worry about checking/adding water.

(By the way, "AGM" is a type of construction, not a brand name.)

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Just to add to Steve's post, my first AGM lasted at least 6 years and never leaked. I purchased my second AGM off fleabay for $65 delivered. See the reviews section or Google MotoBatt.

Comment

Dilemma!

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            LOL! No, let's give him the Microsoft answer "Pigtails!". It is completely accurate, yet tells him exactly nothing. Dealer's choice.
                            Lighten up. There are many ways to skin a rabbit.
                            Since this is not something you want to do all the time, connect your pigtail at this time and position it the way you want it. I have hung it through the right side of the bike and the left, and found the left better. Your call. You really don't want to do all this stuff again, so when you go back together be certain everything seals well.
                            Now, we're getting to the "meat" of the matter. One way must be better than the other. Which one do you guys think is better?

Comment

Now, we're getting to the "meat" of the matter. One way must be better than the other. Which one do you guys think is better?
                              Neither one.

sigpic
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                              X