At a loss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a loss?

Well here it goes I have been working on the carbs but I kinda shifted to the wiring. For some reason I don't know why my bike won't start, the battery is fully charged and all my fuses are good but the only thing that is working is the gauge lights, no head lights turn signals horn ignition, it's the weirdest thing iv seen

Just because the fuses "look" good don't mean they are. Take a power light and check for power on both sides of the fuses when power is turned on. Then start looking at your connections and make sure they are still okay.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

Have you verified that the switches are operating properly? Have you checked and cleaned all the grounds and electrical connections? Have you cleaned the fusebox?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
        Well here it goes I have been working on the carbs but I kinda shifted to the wiring. For some reason I don't know why my bike won't start, the battery is fully charged and all my fuses are good but the only thing that is working is the gauge lights, no head lights turn signals horn ignition, it's the weirdest thing iv seen
        What model/year? The glass fuses or the blade fuses?

YOu have a volt meter? Test probe light?

You have a scehematic?

Well, if the instruments light turn on and off with the ignitions swtich, then know the main fuse and the ignition switch is good.

Tell us more what you find.

Last edited by Redman; 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I took a volt meter to the fuse box to check that they are working and I wasn't getting the reading I should have gotten the main was 12.4 volts but the headlight nothing and the signals only 1.5 volts and the ignition only 6 volts but I might have done alil weird I will take a test light to it instead

Comment

Oh sorry 81 gs1000L and they are glass fuses and I replaced them today.

Comment

The switchs are all good btw they worked yesterday

Comment

Scorp,

I have emailed you a schematic for 81 GS1100G that I have.

Notice how 3 fuses are connected together inside the fusebox (that should be the same weither 11000 or 1000 or G or L, I think).
                You have at least one of those circuoits working (instrument) and at least one circuit not working (headlight).

Check for voltage at the fuses with a meter or test light probe.
                If one okay and others not then unmount the fuse block and look at the back of it.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yeah I got the email it kinda freaked me out i didn't know you guys could send me emails

Comment

Is it easy to just replace the fuse box with a new that uses blade fuses instead

Comment

"Easy" is subjective. Can it be done? Yes. Is it recommended? Yes.
                      Run a search using "fuse box". This is just one thread I found that addresses the issue, and I am certain there are lots more.

Post 10 shows an example and gives a link to a vendor.
                      Best of luck.

Comment

Is it easy to just replace the fuse box with a new that uses blade fuses instead
                        Yes and No.
                        Yes, that they are the same number of fuses.
                        No, in that the wirieng harness connectors are not the same. Would have to splice things.

Lets find out what your problem is first.

I previously didnt see that you did list voltage readings, now I see that.
                        THose reading seem suspect, like something strange with how you used the meter or something.
                        You said 0 volts on headlight fuse (and no headlight comming on), so that seems like an actual reading. That could be bad fuse (but you say you replced fuse) or maybe bad connection inside the fuse box.
                        I think on the glass fuse type fuse box you can take it off the bike and get into the back side to inspect.

You said real low volts on instrument fuse but also said the instrument lights are working, so that is why I suspect your voltage readings are not representive of what is actaully going on.
                        You have meter negitive lead on a good ground / battery negitive?

Yah, sometimes a test light is more uselfull than volt meter readings (and looking for bad connections is one such instance).

Do need to provide email address to register.
                        But dont have to have it available for any/all to use.
                        Go into User CP, is a selection somewhere for recieve emails or not.

Also in User CP is a place to enter your location so that shows up on all post, and most folks add what model/year of bike in the Signature Line so that shows up on all posts also. Makes it easier for folks to answer your questions.

Tell us more what you find. I'll check back in on this tommorow evening.

Last edited by Redman; 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM.

Comment

I am actually doing that right now (start seeing comments in my 81 550T in CO Sprgs project thread) and hope to have it done in the next few weeks.
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ok I read that other thread koolaid Posted and I like the idea of just replacing the fuse block with the blade fuses, I went back with a volt meter and put the glass fuses back in and relized that the metal tabs were really loose, so I'm going to get a new fuse block and desire it after work tomorrow. Will take pics to post tomorrow.

Comment

Yeah I got the email it kinda freaked me out i didn't know you guys could send me emails
                              Well, you have it in your profile, so yeah, it's possible.

Click on a username, you will see what options are available. Some do not have their e-mail listed, so it will not show. That is also an easy way to send a PM (Private Message) to a person.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X