gear position sensor leaming oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gear position sensor leaming oil

The gear position sensor on the left side of my 850 gl under what would bbe called a sprocket cover on a chain drive bike is leaking oil onto my exhaust. I cannot seem to be able to find the part on partsfiche.com... Am I going to need a new switch or just an O-ring? Or is it a Gasket? I would just take it apart and see, but I'm riding and don't want to disable the bike while I wait for parts. Thanks All!

Charles.

Oh and if anyone knows the size of the o ring or the part number, I could really use That!

Thanks!

Charles.

Comment

Pretty sure that it is just an O-ring that should be available at your Suzuki dealer.
      It was part #33 on www.bikebandit.com but the part # doesn't match the picture IF your bike is a 1980 model.

Daniel

Comment

Charles this is the part number you need for that "O" ring for the gear indicator mechanism. Part# 09280-26005. This part was used on 357 different model Suzukis so should be available from suzuki dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
          Charles this is the part number you need for that "O" ring for the gear indicator mechanism. Part# 09280-26005. This part was used on 357 different model Suzukis so should be available from suzuki dealer.

Don do you have a cross reference database for this information?
          I tried pitifully to extract the OEM database in order to allow a model or parts search for picking stuff up at junkywaarsd but my skills ar elacking.

as for the o-ring it may be that your screws are a bit loose tighten em up a bit and only a bit cos that would be a hatefule hole to tap

Comment

First, stop using BikeBandit to look up parts -- they use their own obfuscated parts number system which causes massive confusion.

Here's the information from the fiche at partshark.com:
            O RING (D:2.4 ID:26.2)
            09280-26005

Your best bet is the see if your local Suzuki dealer happens to stock this o-ring -- it's very commonly used on hundreds of models.

Or, if it's easier, check with a source for metric o-rings locally -- maybe there's an industrial supplier nearby.

A "standard" inch-sized o-ring might also work, but no guarantees. They're a lot easier to find, anyway.

2.4mm thickness translates to 3/32", and 26.2mm ID comes out to about 1-1/32". However, standard o-rings are only available in 1/16" increments.

So a #120 o-ring might work (1" ID X 3/32"). A #121 o-ring (1-1/16" X 3/32") might work, but might also be a bit too big. It would be cheap enough to buy both and try them.

And in this application, a regular buna-n o-ring from a hardware store should work fine -- you don't need the extra heat resistance of Viton.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
              Don do you have a cross reference database for this information?
              Hi Rusty, Yes I do have a cross reference database. If you have a Suzuki part no. and would like to know which models it fits just send me the info (email or PM) and I will send the info you need back to you.

Comment

Hi,

A little info I've collected on my little website...

Parts Cross-Reference Software - For Suzuki and other motorcycles (a commercial product, about $25)
                Kawasaki Cross Reference,Suzuki Cross Reference Software,Yamaha Cross Reference,Honda Cross Reference,

Alternate (Free) Parts Cross-Reference Procedure
                - using a couple of our favorite online resources.
                Note: This is not as complete as the Zedder program above.

1. Start here:
                Buy parts at a low price for your snowmobile here at Alpha Sports, we carry a LARGE variety of parts and accesories.

2. Find your bike by year and model. Select the part you wish to reference.

3. Identify the part number, right-click and copy the part number.

4. Then use Babbit's cross-reference utility here:

5. In the pull-down menu labeled "Brands", select "Suzuki".

6. Right-click and paste the part number copied from alpha-sports into the line labeled "Search for".

7. Click "Quick lookup".

You are then presented with every model that the referenced part will fit.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                X