Replace Separate Rectifier and Separate Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace Separate Rectifier and Separate Regulator

My 78 GS1000E has a separate rectifier and a separate regulator.

So I'm upgrading the electrical system with a new fuse box with automotive type fuses, as the backside of the fuse box had melted connectors, a new starter relay, & flasher relay. The wiring from the regulator and the rectifier are a mess-the p.o. used scotch tape on some of the joints!!

Since I have separate wiring connections for the rectifier and for the regulator
    whats the best way to combine them to fit a honda R/R ??

Hi,

When you're done, it will look like this:

Just connect the three output wires from the stator directly to the three input wires on the r/r unit. Connect the r/r output to the battery (usually through a fuse in the fuseblock). Connect the r/r ground directly to the negative terminal of the battery. The 6th "sense" wire on the Honda r/r units is connected to a switched 12v source, usually the tail light circuit at the brake light connection.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks for the diagram, I need to sort out the fuse box first. The pic below shows my new fuse box. Main power feed is to the bolt on the top. Which socket takes 15 amp main fuse ?

Comment

Look at the overall rating of the box. As long as you don't go over that rating than you can put the 15amp ones in any of them (at least the one I'll be using).
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
          Thanks for the diagram, I need to sort out the fuse box first. The pic below shows my new fuse box. Main power feed is to the bolt on the top. Which socket takes 15 amp main fuse ?

Its hard to see, but it seems as if your 6 fuses may all be ganged together to the power feed from the screw. If so, you will need a separate main fuse to feed power to the ignition switch and back to the fuse block. Or better, you need to get the correct fuse block.

Comment

The pic in this link looks to be the same fuse box. The new box has inputs but no outputs which is confusing.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
              The pic in this link looks to be the same fuse box. The new box has inputs but no outputs which is confusing.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...light=fuse+box
              As Steve said back in January 2009... Your fuse box has only one input, meaning all the inputs are ganged together and the spade terminals are your outputs for each fuse.

Comment

The easiest way to use that particular fuse block will be to add a single, separate fuse holder for your MAIN feed. Just cut the wire on the "dead" side of the MAIN fuse in your old fuse box, connect it to the new single fuse, run that to the battery or the battery terminal on the starter solenoid. (I prefer the solenoid to minimize extra wires at the battery.)

Power runs from the battery, through the MAIN fuse, to the ignition switch, then back to the fuse box. Cut that orange wire from the ignition switch just before it feeds the fuse box, connect it to the #85 terminal on a relay. Connect the #86 terminal to a ground point. Connect the #30 terminal to the battery post on the starter solenoid, connect the #87 terminal to the input terminal of your new fuse block. All six of your new fuses are now fed switched power straight from the battery.

If you need a diagram to help you vizualize, let me know.

Last edited by Steve; 01-06-2011, 01:03 PM.
                sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I beginning to understand this now. I'll run an inline fuse on the red wire from the battery to the red wiring going to the ign switch. I'll use the orange wire from the ign switch to power the new fuse block?

Comment

Thanks Steve, a diagram would be great!

Comment

"Cut that orange wire from the ignition switch just before it feeds the fuse box, connect it to the #86 terminal on a relay. Connect the #85 terminal to a ground point. Connect the #30 terminal to the battery post on the starter solenoid, connect the #87 terminal to the input terminal of your new fuse block. All six of your new fuses are now fed switched power straight from the battery."

Got this done per your instructions, thanks!

I haven't done the main power feed as I'm confused about the 3 circled wires in the pic - which one is the main power feed. Before, the red wiring coming from the starter relay was the power feed.
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-05-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Out of curiosity-in your pic, is that trapezoid shaped honda r/r a seven wire unit ? Some hondas r/r's were designed for field controlled stators, like a car alternator.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It has 8 wires, another I have only has 6

Comment

"The easiest way to use that particular fuse block will be to add a single, separate fuse holder for your MAIN feed. Just cut the wire on the "dead" side of the MAIN fuse in your old fuse box, connect it to the new single fuse, run that to the battery or the battery terminal on the starter solenoid. (I prefer the solenoid to minimize extra wires at the battery.)"

Steve: would you explain this more? I have the new fuse box wired up with the relay, but lost on the main power feed, I presume one of those 2 orange wires shown in the pic above is a main feed??

Comment

It's kind of hard to see the wires coming off the solenoid right but that one you have circled right there looks to me like the main one from the battery.
                              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                              X