No announcement yet.

Replace Separate Rectifier and Separate Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect the red wire on the solenoid powers the ignition switch through an inline fuse but which wire do I put it to: one of the orange ones I believe?

Comment

I don't have access to the wiring diagram I'm using so I can't give you all the right numbers off the top of my head right now; but with mine, one will go to the fuse block to provide main power and one will go to the relay to provide power there. From the fuse block, I'll connect to the red wire going to my ignition switch. The orange from the ignition switch will connect to the relay. The relay will then connect back to the fuse block to control my switched fuses.

Edit: Essentially, find the red that feeds your ignition switch or whatever your wiring diagram states it should be. You'll probably have to trace it out to know for sure.
      Last edited by cowboyup3371; 01-06-2011, 12:23 PM.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks I'll trace those two orange wires and find which one goes to the ign switch.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
          Thanks Steve, a diagram would be great!
          OK, try this:

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          The easiest way to use that particular fuse block will be to add a single, separate fuse holder for your MAIN feed. Just cut the wire on the "dead" side of the MAIN fuse in your old fuse box, connect it to the new single fuse, run that to the battery or the battery terminal on the starter solenoid. (I prefer the solenoid to minimize extra wires at the battery.)

Power runs from the battery, through the MAIN fuse, to the ignition switch, then back to the fuse box. Cut that orange wire from the ignition switch just before it feeds the fuse box, connect it to the #85 terminal on a relay. Connect the #86 terminal to a ground point. Connect the #30 terminal to the battery post on the starter solenoid, connect the #87 terminal to the input terminal of your new fuse block. All six of your new fuses are now fed switched power straight from the battery.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

The honda rr kits i offer are 6 wire and bolt into the original locations, you're going to need a bracket fo that Shadow RR
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Steve: Thanks very much, now have lights. Have to shorten some wires and clean up the connections but I'm making progress !!!

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                The honda rr kits i offer are 6 wire and bolt into the original locations, you're going to need a bracket fo that Shadow RR
                The bike has no air box, has double style K&N air filters, so there's room on the right side of the frame to mount it.

Comment

Good news is now I have power to the lights, ignition, gauges and signals but no starter turning over.

With a jumper wire I jumped the solenoid and the starter turns over. From the solenoid there's a single yellow/green wire to the starter button on the handlebar switch. When I push the starter button I have power to the solenoid on the y/g wire. I swapped out the solenoid with another one and the same results???

(bike has no side stand switch or clutch safety switch)

Comment

Good news is now I have power to the lights, ignition, gauges and signals but no starter turning over.

With a jumper wire I jumped the solenoid and the starter turns over. From the solenoid there's a single yellow/green wire to the starter button on the handlebar switch. When I push the starter button I have power to the solenoid on the y/g wire. I swapped out the solenoid with another one and the same results???

Have you checked that you have a ground on the solenoid casing. Usually this is the battery box casing ground. Some black/white wire with a ring terminal under a mounting screw.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                      Have you checked that you have a ground on the solenoid casing. Usually this is the battery box casing ground. Some black/white wire with a ring terminal under a mounting screw.

BINGO !!! Your'e right, thanks.

Comment

It has 8 wires, another I have only has 6
                        Use the six wire one- follow duaneage's wiring stuff. The eight wire is designed to vary the field strength to control stator output- you just have the fixed magnet anything goes design.
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

... but no starter turning over.

Just so you (and all the others) know, the side stand switch has NOTHING to do with starting the engine.

The only function of that switch is to turn on the light on the instrument panel.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                            Use the six wire one- follow duaneage's wiring stuff. The eight wire is designed to vary the field strength to control stator output- you just have the fixed magnet anything goes design.
                            I've already wired in the 8 wire r/r: 3 yellow for stator, two green for battery ground and two red for battery positive. The black sensor wire is not hooked up or should it be?

Comment

I've already wired in the 8 wire r/r: 3 yellow for stator, two green for battery ground and two red for battery positive. The black sensor wire is not hooked up or should it be?

That sensor wire should be wired up to a switched power (ignition on) point. If direct to the battery positive terminal, it might cause the battery to be drained over a period, but will work.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                                That sensor wire should be wired up to a switched power (ignition on) point. If direct to the battery positive terminal, it might cause the battery to be drained over a period, but will work.
                                Thanks for the input, I'll wire it to the tailight.

Comment

Working...
                                X