Replace Separate Rectifier and Separate Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
    Thanks for the input, I'll wire it to the tailight.
    Do yourself a favor, though. When the bike is running, compare the voltage at the tail light connector to the voltage at the battery.

I have seen batteries overcharge because of poor connections to the tail light, resulting in a voltage drop. The R/R keeps increasing its output until it finally 'sees' proper voltage at its sense point, but the battery is getting overcharged.

Unless you have plans for your extra fuse locations, connect your R/R sense wire to one of them. If you have the relay providing power from the battery to the fuse panel, you will have very close to battery voltage at the fuse panel, and it will be a switched source, making it perfect for the sense wire.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have spare fuse spots on the fuse panel and it's powered by the relay. I'll wire the sense wire to it, thanks.

Comment

Looking good; I bought the spade type fuse box similar to yours (they sure are made chintzy for a lot of money), took it apart and seperated the strips inside with a dremel grinder (mine has eight fuse slots) and did away with the inline fuse thing for the switched power wire. I still have 3 inline fuses attached to the battery that I haven't incorporated into the fuse block, but they'll be done before I'm riding again in March.

Comment

Working...
        X