GS 650 not getting any juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 650 not getting any juice

Hey I go an 82 gs650 a few days ago and am having problem with the electric. When i got it, i got a new battery and the lights turned on but it wouldnt turn over. So I figured the starter solenoid was bad and crossed the 2 posts with a screwdriver. It sparked and now the lights dont even turn on. I got a new solenoid, thinking this would fix it but it didnt do anything.....the fuses under the seat are still all good. Any ideas on what to check next???

When you say the fuses are still good, is that just by a visual check or did you take a power light and verify it that way? How charged up is the battery? What kind of voltage are you getting at your connectors? Where are you located so maybe someone can help out if they are fairly close?
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Re:

Visual check on the fuses, i dont have a volt meter or a power light but i can get access to a light. Im in Raymore MO (just outside KC). The battery should be charged, even if not I hooked up my battery charger on jump mode to check if the battery was bad but still no lights or anthing.

Comment

Change out your main fuse anyways with a new one. Trace the leads from your battery to insure the wires are in good shape and no internal contact with metal. You had to short something somewhere...

Comment

Originally posted by dj3671 View Post
          Visual check on the fuses, i dont have a volt meter or a power light but i can get access to a light. Im in Raymore MO (just outside KC). The battery should be charged, even if not I hooked up my battery charger on jump mode to check if the battery was bad but still no lights or anthing.

DJ, those glass fuses can blow under the metal cap and you'll never know it. Get access to a power light and check both sides of your main fuse. I lost a chance at a good day's ride because of that little problem. It's one reason I'm now changing out my fuse block for a blade style.
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

dj,

Welcome to GSR.

I had 82 gs650G for 20+ years. Didnt have to work on it much. Hasve worked more on 850G and 1100G since.

Did your bike ever start? Or did you get it non-running?

When you say the headlight came on but starter didnt. Did starter solenoid even click?

Then you jumpered the solenoid, and starter didnt go then either. THat makes it sound like bad starter, but ..... maybe problem with + power connection or maybe problem with ground connection to engine block. .... which maybe could explain your other problems also.

Anyway ... not likley gonna find such problems looking at it with your eyeballs. A test light probe would be usefull, or a voltmeter, but a test light probe might be easier to use.

Oh, wait, not really suppose to give any advise untill you post photo of your bike.
            (joking)

Last edited by Redman; 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

From Mr BassCliff and Mr Dunnage.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks!

Wow thank you all for the quick responses. Im going to replace all the fuses tomorow and get the battery checked. And probly pick up a light lol. The solenoid never clicked when the bike did have power, thats why i replaced the solenoid. And yea i got the bike non running. Im used to restoring mopeds so this is a little more than I am used to lol. Ill post up tomorow if the fiuses did the trick. Thanks again to all.

Comment

:P heres the beast!

Comment

THanks for posting photo.

That would be an L model, and you say an 80 650, so that would be an GS650GLT
                    G for shaft drive, L for L model, T for 1980.

Yah, get a test light probe and are many folks here willing to help.
                    t
                    If you look on the scehmatic for the starter solenoid circuit... the "disconnect swich" is the clutch switch.
                    Oh, did you know the clutch had to be pulled in?
                    .... And the kill swtich in run position for the starter button to energize the solenoid.
                    Well, those are details relative to the starter solonoid circuit.

But you say you dont have headlight either, so need to look into power at the fuses first.

Last edited by Redman; 01-08-2011, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I have the POWER!

lol i actually don't have a headlight. Someone stole it from the previous owner. Changed the fuses and BAM, lights all day. Still no turn over or click from the solenoid however. Im gonna check the ground on the starter, see if that gets me anywhere. And yea clutch in, switch on and pressin start button with nothing happening lol

Comment

Changed the fuses and BAM, lights all day.
                        I would hate to say
                        we told you so...
                        so I won't say it, its just a quote someone might have said

Comment

Not sure if you mentioned this...

But, did you check the starter switch yet?
                          Those springs or pieces can become pretty corroded inside.

I had a "no start/Click" problem when I first got my 650G also.
                          Cleaned the starter switch out, and it fixed my problem.
                          (i also got a new starter solenoid too.)

But inside the Starter switch, theres a tiny spring with like a tiny metal piece that contacts the spring. Those 2 parts usually corrode, and just some Contact Cleaner and a small wire brush can get em' clean again.
                          (i actually had to use a small dab of super-glue to hold the spring back on that tiny metal tab while reassembling my starter switch module, but no big deal.)

If you DO need a new Starter Solenoid, DON'T pay the $80+ or whatever they want at the Suzuki shops.....INSTEAD, goto Lowes or Home Depot. They have a Lawn Tractor Solenoid for around $12, and it's a Perfect fit in the GS 650.
                          (it's in the lawn/tractor isle, right near the belts and air filters....don't expect employees to find it either....they usually have no clue, lol.)

I got one in my 650, and runs 100%, no more clicking.

Comment

Make a ground wire to put under one of the solenoid mounting bolts. Attach the other end of the ground wire to your battery neg terminal. Also make sure all wires that are supposed to be connected to your battery are actually connected. Unplug, clean and re-connect all the bullet connectors in your electrical system. Check the wiring in the headlight bucket and do the same there. IF you're planning on dissecting the start button, be careful!, so you don't lose the tiny parts when the spring goes sproing and shoots them all over the floor. Good luck.

Comment

Hey I go an 82 gs650 a few days ago and am having problem with the electric. When i got it, i got a new battery and the lights turned on but it wouldnt turn over. So I figured the starter solenoid was bad and crossed the 2 posts with a screwdriver. It sparked and now the lights dont even turn on. I got a new solenoid, thinking this would fix it but it didnt do anything.....the fuses under the seat are still all good. Any ideas on what to check next???
                              "It sparked"- does that mean the starter turned over? screwdriver to which terminals on solenoid? you must have blown fuse. study wiring diagram to avoid frustration. Avoid replacing parts unless you're sure. The connections on these bikes are always suspect, especially when you get a nonrunner. What's the mileage?
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X