fuel gauge not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel gauge not working

hi, i have a 81 gs 650 and my fuel gauge shows almost full all the time. any idea on were to start on how to fix this? tank,wire,power or gauge? i just got the bike and i was told it was sitting up for a bit and not rode much over the last 2 years. thanks

perhaps the float arm is stuck in place? Maybe give the tank a good jolt, and if that doesnt work, take out the sending unit and give it the once over. I think there is a guide on Mr. BassCliff's site.

Comment

Mr. BassCliff's site? im new to the bike world. i jolted the tank a few times with no luck.

Comment

Originally posted by stingger View Post
        Mr. BassCliff's site?

Check over the quick connects you undo when you remove the tank. The bullet connectors may need cleaning or soldered to the wires.
        Last edited by bonanzadave; 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

man i wish i knew of that site when i did my carbs. thanks

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. stingger,

Welcome to the party that is GS ownership. You'll find lots of GS lovin' here and on my little website. Let's get the party started!

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you figure it out please let us know what you found!

Mine doesn't and hasn't worked since I bought it, followed everything on BassCliffs sight with no luck.

Comment

I found on my 82 750E that the wires connecting to the back of the gauge were corroded. I cleaned those and the gauge now works but I need to go into the tank and adjust the sending unit.
                1982 GS750EZ
                1978 GS750EC

Comment

hi, i have a 81 gs 650 and my fuel gauge shows almost full all the time. any idea on were to start on how to fix this? tank,wire,power or gauge? i just got the bike and i was told it was sitting up for a bit and not rode much over the last 2 years. thanks
                  Disconnect wires going to tank ( no need to remove tank- you'll see them near petcock), does fuel gauge drop to empty? (ignition on)
                  The tank sending unit should have about 100 ohm resistance when empty and maybe about 1 to 3 ohm resistance when full. You good have bad contacts or stuck float- how clean is your tank inside?
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

ok i'll check that this week, ranger i'll keep it posted on what i find thanks

Comment

tank is clean. and with key on and wires unpluged it stays the same , hand dosn't move
                      Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2011, 07:34 PM.

Comment

tank is clean. and with key on and wires unpluged it stays the same , hand dosn't move
                        Then, since gauge is stuck on full, I'd suspect the needle is frozen ( corroded)- it should have dropped when you unplugged those wires. .
                        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

hi, i have a 81 gs 650 and my fuel gauge shows almost full all the time. any idea on were to start on how to fix this?
                          Ride the bike, burn some gas.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

well i took it apart and cleaned the ends and the hand wasn't stuck, put it back togethere and still it just stayed were i left it. i think its gone bad. i did go for a 20 mile ride and it ran great.

Comment

take a piece of wire and connect the two ends of the wire harness that the fuel sending unit plugs into in the harness and watch the guage..if it goes up the guage is good and the problem is in the sending unit in the tank. If thats the case then on the sending unit you will see where the wires pass thru a hard plastic disk to get into the tank. Check the soldered connections there..thats the most common place they come loose. resolder both sides and with the sending unit out of the tank hook it up and move the float arm and watch the guage..let us know what happens.
                              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X