Need Help with Coil Relay Mod!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
    i cant find a way to turn the bike off... any ideas?
    Turn the key to off ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
      GabrielGoes...do you have a wiring diagram for you bike yet?
      Yeah from basscliffs website but its friggin complicated as hell

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
      Turn the key to off ?
      tried that already.... maybe all relays are not created equal? i just took my 12v relay from my aftermarket horn which im sure is the same as the others, still has 85,86,87,30,also double checked the connections so the relay IS wired correctly

This is EXACTLY how i have my relay wired:

anyone see anything wrong? maybe the issue is elsewhere?
      Last edited by GabrielGoes; 01-16-2011, 04:48 PM.
      Originally posted by tkent02
      That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
      John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Gabriel, that "green thing", or plug/connector, does plug into the right handle switch assembly but should be connected to another end within the headlight bucket. That's what he is asking about - is it the male end that goes to the assembly or the female end that is on the wiring harness inside the bucket?
        I guess the p/o took out the other end within hte headlight bucket.. the thing in my hand is the male end that goes to the Right handle bar assembly

Comment

It sounds like you're going to have to have a good look at your complete wiring harness and see if any changes were made and where it all goes. When you turn the key off do all your lights go out as well? if they do then I'm guessing your ignition is working ok. Did you connect into the correct wire from your handle bar? I just did this mod for my 78 1000 and instead of connecting into the wire from the handle bar switch I just connected into one of the orange/white wires that previously went to the coil. Same idea just a lot more convenient than splicing into the handle bar wire. Oh and the wiring diagram only looks complicated. Start with one single wire on the diagram and find it on your bike and follow it through. Once you've done one it gets easier.
          Rob
          1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
          Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Referring back to that picture where you are holding the green plug:

There are two orange wires there. Reverse their connections and try again.

One of those wires comes from the ignition fuse and feeds the "kill" switch, which then feeds the coils and the starter button. The other is the 'output' to the coils. If you have them reversed, it will do strange things, just like you have described.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by azr View Post
              It sounds like you're going to have to have a good look at your complete wiring harness and see if any changes were made and where it all goes. When you turn the key off do all your lights go out as well? if they do then I'm guessing your ignition is working ok. Did you connect into the correct wire from your handle bar? I just did this mod for my 78 1000 and instead of connecting into the wire from the handle bar switch I just connected into one of the orange/white wires that previously went to the coil. Same idea just a lot more convenient than splicing into the handle bar wire. Oh and the wiring diagram only looks complicated. Start with one single wire on the diagram and find it on your bike and follow it through. Once you've done one it gets easier.
              thanks will do

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Referring back to that picture where you are holding the green plug:

There are two orange wires there. Reverse their connections and try again.

One of those wires comes from the ignition fuse and feeds the "kill" switch, which then feeds the coils and the starter button. The other is the 'output' to the coils. If you have them reversed, it will do strange things, just like you have described.

Am gonna try this first

i'd like to thank you guys for the help really it means a lot to me everytime you guys reply

Comment

Originally posted by GabrielGoes View Post
                i'd like to thank you guys for the help really it means a lot to me everytime you guys reply
                And it will mean a lot to us when you tell us that bike is finally working correctly.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There are several versions of the coil-relay mod. I am not qualified to judge which is best but I found the above version by Cliff to be the least challenging for an electrically-challenged novice like me. It gave be 2 more volts at my coils and was simple to understand. Maybe you already used this one? If not, it's an option. You would need to look at the wiring diagram to make sure the wires are the same color and routed the same. Good luck and hopefully following Steve's suggestion has already got you straightened out.
                  1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                  1983 GS 1100 G
                  2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                  2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                  1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

guys i decided to save lots and lots of heartache that i am going to wire my own killswitch, where the one red + wire meets the + on the battery i am going to throw in a switch and mount it somwhere underneath the seat or near the carbs... anyone see a problem with this?

Comment

Boy what I wouldn't give to get ahold of your bike with a soldering gun and a bit of shrink wrap. I suppose your idea of a kill switch would work though.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                      X