lost key, need quick advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost key, need quick advice

so i just bought a 79 gs850 off my uncle, only problem is that he lost the key for it.

so here's my question, do i have to replace the fuel filler cap and ignition or can i just get a generic key? how specific are the keys to this bike? are they interchageable?

thanks for the help everyone!

You either have to buy a new ignition, fuel cap, and seat lock (there's three spots on the bike for the key) or you could go talk to a lock smith and see what he can do for you. The keys are not interchangeable.
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

If you are lucky you will see a number stamped into the buttom or side of the ignition. Take that number and go to ebay where you can find the right suzuki key.

Comment

As Walle says, you may be able to find a key code no the ignition switch. Is the gas cap actually keyed? I thought you could usually open the gas with any key.

Comment

nevermind

nevermind everyone, sorry for the useless thread. just found a great deal on ebay for a gas cap, ignition, and 2 keys for $30 so i just went ahead a got it. figured it was a good deal

thanks greatly for the advice though!

Comment

Glad you've solved your problem but for anyone else reading this thread, there is another way. Take your title to a bonded locksmith. He can look up your lock code using your VIN assuming you've got ID showing you're the person who the bike is titled to. My local locksmith provided this service for me on an 86 Kawasaki. He cut the key in minutes and charged less than $10.00 for the service and key. If you want this done on a Suzuki blank, you had better plan on purchasing one and carrying it with you since they are not normally stocked by locksmiths.
            Don

Comment

If the key code isnt stamped on the top of the gas cap lock cylinder you can also look on the face of the seat latch lock...usually a 3 or 4 didigt stamped there.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Don View Post
                Glad you've solved your problem but for anyone else reading this thread, there is another way. Take your title to a bonded locksmith. He can look up your lock code using your VIN assuming you've got ID showing you're the person who the bike is titled to. My local locksmith provided this service for me on an 86 Kawasaki. He cut the key in minutes and charged less than $10.00 for the service and key. If you want this done on a Suzuki blank, you had better plan on purchasing one and carrying it with you since they are not normally stocked by locksmiths.
                Don

Some Chrysler blanks will work..they are longer than the stock Suzuki blank, so the key extends farther out while in the lock, but they work.

If you are at a locksmith they can shorten it by just grinding a bit off the blank before cutting it to fit.
                Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Originally posted by Bustedknuckles View Post
                  nevermind everyone, sorry for the useless thread. just found a great deal on ebay for a gas cap, ignition, and 2 keys for $30 so i just went ahead a got it. figured it was a good deal

thanks greatly for the advice though!
                  Well what will you do with your still-good old set?

Comment

Newer Honda bikes keys work. Ray Suzuki in SC did a couple for me since they didnt carry older Suzuki keys

Comment

I ordered blanks for my GS, KZ & GPz from Ace Hardware for about $1.50 each.

Comment

Working...
                      X