A few questions before I install my compufire 55402

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few questions before I install my compufire 55402

I looked at the bike today for the conversion. It was putting out 12V at idle and 17V at 2500RPM. The '78/'79 GS1000E both have a two piece system, a rectifier and regulator. I swapped the two wire part over from the '79 parts bike, and it did 12V at idle and 14V at 2500RPM and above. I can live with that while I am collecting the proper connectors for the conversion. It looks like there will be plenty of room to mount the Compufire when the rectifier and regulator are removed. It's easy enough to figure out the stator connections, and the two wires to abandon that loop one of the stator wires through the light switch. I will be connecting the Compufire ground to the motor ground with the existing battery ground wire, and was thinking of running another ground wire from this location back to the frame of the mounting bracket for all of the electrics under the side cover. My main question is if I should run the Compufire positive directly to the battery through the provided 40A fused link, and then run a jumper from that point to the original positive feed to the harness, or am I making any mistakes here?
    http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
    I looked at the bike today for the conversion. It was putting out 12V at idle and 17V at 2500RPM. The '78/'79 GS1000E both have a two piece system, a rectifier and regulator. I swapped the two wire part over from the '79 parts bike, and it did 12V at idle and 14V at 2500RPM and above. I can live with that while I am collecting the proper connectors for the conversion. It looks like there will be plenty of room to mount the Compufire when the rectifier and regulator are removed. It's easy enough to figure out the stator connections, and the two wires to abandon that loop one of the stator wires through the light switch. I will be connecting the Compufire ground to the motor ground with the existing battery ground wire, and was thinking of running another ground wire from this location back to the frame of the mounting bracket for all of the electrics under the side cover. My main question is if I should run the Compufire positive directly to the battery through the provided 40A fused link, and then run a jumper from that point to the original positive feed to the harness, or am I making any mistakes here?
    you could do it a couple of ways; I like keeping things stock and
    a.) power the original harness without a fuse. This presumes your fuse box is in good shape. If not you can
    b.) power the battery directly through a 20 amp fuse. Just tie back the original harness connection then.

And yes it is 20 amps even though stock is 15 amps in the fuse box.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. That simplifies things. My fuse box has been replaced with a new stock one. Would you replace the 15A fuse in the box with a 20A fuse or leave it stock? I'm thinking about replacing all the connectors under the seat with the Furukawa RFW .090 connectors, but I might have to rethink that because of the expense.
      http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        Thanks for the feedback. That simplifies things. My fuse box has been replaced with a new stock one. Would you replace the 15A fuse in the box with a 20A fuse or leave it stock? I'm thinking about replacing all the connectors under the seat with the Furukawa RFW .090 connectors, but I might have to rethink that because of the expense.
        if you stay stock keep it at 15amp.

The 20 amps if becase the direct wiring to the battery changes the current flows.

Comment

I installed the Compufire regulator tonight. It's not mounted yet, but it will fit nicely under the side cover. I have to drill the holes, weld nuts on the plate and cut a small section off of the plate. It works nicely though. If the markings on the Compufire plug are correct, it is also in a proper phase relationship with the stator, but I don't suppose that matters much.

Comment

Working...
          X