No announcement yet.

My bike is dead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds like the motor is seized. It is not worth fixing. Move on to a better bike. El G.

Comment

I've put 80 hours in my first week back in CA in Nov to get my bike running. That's what I've done. New clutch springs, cleaned up the wiring harness, coated the tank, checked the stator, reg, coils, plugs, ignition, cleaned the carbs, raised the needles, installed pods, adjusted the valves, changed the oil, painted it, had it in the shop for vaccum synch, changed the right intake boots and all new orings, new battery, welded the broken flange on the headers, upholstered the seat, new blinkers, new relays etc. I put about 400 miles a month on it right now.

Total hours working on it is about 95, so I think I understand the bike. It also understands after 5 beers in half an hour that it's not going to suck anymore money out of me that I can't afford and that if it doesn't have a miracle soon it will be shrapnel.
      Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2011, 02:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by El Giablo View Post
        Sounds like the motor is seized. It is not worth fixing. Move on to a better bike. El G.
        That's what I thought, but wouldn't it have been seized already and not ridden this far? Maybe I'll give you a call tomorrow once I have more time to look it over and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
          It also understands after 5 beers in half an hour that it's not going to suck anymore money out of me that I can't afford and that if it doesn't have a miracle soon it will be shrapnel.
          , you do know your bike then!, get inside the head and inspect, replace parts with the OEM gasket kits and parts, machine the head etc. or blow the thing up (make a video for sure) and get another bike! check compression first lol
          John 3:16

Comment

About an hour ago I tried to ride to the store about 1/4 mile away, I made it down my street and my bike died, wheel locked up etc.

Everything turns on but it doesn't even try to turn over...

wtf...
            I am going by, "the wheel locked up" comment.

Comment

It might not have locked up but it felt like it did. I was only going about 10mph when the engine died and my steering got shakey. I thought once the engine dies the wheel would lock up in gear at speed anyways?

Comment

Can you put it in gear, and move the bike? If so, it is not locked. Then, it is not so bad.

Comment

Only with the clutch pulled in if thats what you mean. I've never been able to push it in gear without the clutch, but I can't recall ever being able to do that on any.

Comment

Only with the clutch pulled in if thats what you mean. I've never been able to push it in gear without the clutch, but I can't recall ever being able to do that on any.
                    Of course. You can't push a car while it's in gear too, unless you're holding the clutch. The only way to push a car or bike without using the clutch is for it to be in neutral. That's good news! Your engine is not seized! I bet it's something electrical. Your story sounds similar to mine.

Good luck with it! Although it's sad to see a GS blowing up, I kind of want to see it. No, I'm not encouraging you .

Comment

I've put 80 hours in my first week back in CA in Nov to get my bike running. That's what I've done. New clutch springs, cleaned up the wiring harness, coated the tank, checked the stator, reg, coils, plugs, ignition, cleaned the carbs, raised the needles, installed pods, adjusted the valves, changed the oil, painted it, had it in the shop for vaccum synch, changed the right intake boots and all new orings, new battery, welded the broken flange on the headers, upholstered the seat, new blinkers, new relays etc. I put about 400 miles a month on it right now.

Total hours working on it is about 95, so I think I understand the bike. It also understands after 5 beers in half an hour that it's not going to suck anymore money out of me that I can't afford and that if it doesn't have a miracle soon it will be shrapnel.
                      It's be a shame to destroy it completely with so much into it. Accidentally running it without oil until it seized when the plug disappeared has probably screwed the motor. Something seized somewhere, which means metal was grinding on metal. If it will turn over, it's probably waiting to finish tearing itself apart. I wouldn't put more time in that engine, or take it far if it does turn over. All the work you've done so far could swap to another engine, though. Don't let Murhpy's gremlins win. That's my opinion anyway.

Can you afford another ride? Time may not allow an engine swap, I guess.
                      Dogma
                      --
                      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                      '80 GS850 GLT
                      '80 GS1000 GT
                      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Ranger,

You might have a seized starter clutch or starter. I had this happen once on my 1100E. The starter clutch was not disengaging so the starter motor was spinning at an incredible rate when the starter clutch was spinning. The starter melted itself into one solid piece and locked up the back wheel. Afterward I had electrical power but not even a click from the starter button. I was able to push-start the bike and found the melted starter after I got it home.

Thanks,
                        Joe
                        IBA# 24077
                        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

can you just pop off the engine cover on the right side and turn the engine over with a wrench? That will tell you if something is seized of if it's electrical.

Comment

Starter is good, makes the effort to turn the engine over. That engine isn't going anywhere, won't budge since the front fork compresses with all the force trying to get it to manually.

So I think I know what I'm doing from this point.

No money for a new engine, and worse off I really don't know my abilities in an engine swap if I did get one unless someone has one for a reasonable price and someone near by knows how to swap and engine and is willing to help.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM.

Comment

I'm going to begin pulling the engine I suppose.

Comment

You know Ranger, I'm confused about something. If you've really enjoyed the bike this much why not get yourself a cheap cheap car to get yourself around and then start tearing into the bike to find out what's wrong? It sounds too me you won't know for sure if it is seized until you look at it closely. So, instead of throwing it away, go find out. It might very well not be as bad as you are thinking.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X