Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any photo examples of where to test coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any photo examples of where to test coils?

77 gs 750. I have an ohm meter and I looked at the electrical issues on basscliffs site. I didnt see photo examples of where to test the coils or which contacts to hit to check the primary and secondary windings.

I just need to confirm since I'm getting weird readings.

Thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 01-19-2011, 07:39 PM.

try saying test coils 10 times fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
      try saying test coils 10 times fast.
      I did too... It's a good thing I said it quietly or I'd been in trouble with the boss.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Ignition coil resistance:
        Between the two HT plug caps of the same coil, secondary HT winding, approximately 30 – 35 K ohm
        - I get nothing here even on the one that works??? I am testing between the two plug wires of the same coil. The coil is off the bike...The one that works is still on the bike but seems to have no reading either.

Between the orange/white and white on the first coil and orange/white and black/yellow on the second coil, primary winding, approximately 2-5 ohm. If this test is within limits you likely have two good coils.
        - I get 6 ohms here so that part is ok.

Comment

To test the coils put one probe of the multitester on each of the terminals on the primary side of the coil. You should get 3-5 ohms. Check the secondary windings by placing one probe into each of the plug wires coming from one coil. Those would be 2 & 3 from one coil and 1 & 4 for the other. You should get 30-50,000 ohms for stock coils and 15-20,000 for aftermarket.
          From another spot on BC site. I'm getting nothing on either coil still when I check resistance between plus wires. Again I have one coil off the bike and the other is in the garage on the bike, so I havent confused the wires or anything.

Comment

SO THIS IS WHERE I AM GETTING NO READING ON EITHER COIL?

Comment

I wish I could help but I don't know. I'm actually surprised no one else has stepped in to give you a straight answer by now.

Comment

Let me look at a coil I have sitting around. Give me a few minutes.

Comment

O.K., your test sites are correct. I have a Kaw coil here that I placed one probe in the first spark plug socket and place the other probe in the second plug socket. I got about 25kOhms. Not the same as a GS, but still around what I would expect.
                  I suggest removing the caps, cutting the wire off about 1/2", then rethreading the caps back on. Sometimes the end of the wires get corroded and need to be removed.
                  Best of luck.

Comment

Ok will try it. Confusing thing is that the 1&4 coils were firing before and the only one that was suspect was 2&3 but, when I decided to do the base line on a "good one" it was showing nothing either but both were/are good on the primary windings?

Comment

Hi,

Have a look at the coils on THIS DIAGRAM.

The "primary" is the small wires that go to the ignitor. On one coil measure between the orange/white wire and the white wire. On the other coil measure between the orange/white wire and the black/yellow wire. This should be a small resistance measurement, somewhere between 2-5 ohms.

The "secondary" is the big wires that go to the plugs. Measure between the two plugs on the same coil. You might want to take off the plug caps so that you get the true resistance of the coils. This should be a relatively large resistance, somewhere around 30k-35k ohms.

I'm pulling these resistance specs out of my, uh, head, so you should check your manual for the specs of your bike.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I can't quite see you tester but it looks as though it has just one ohm setting. If that's correct, what is the rating?
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

The fact that you have a single digit "1" on your display screen usually means your multimeter is "out of range". For instance if a multimeter is set on the 0-200 ohm range and you want to test something in the 25,000 ohm range then the meter will show that it is out of range (which means the meter cannot measure it).

Do you have a setting on your meter to set it up around the 25 to 50 kohm range.

A better picture of the multimeter would be good so we can see the settings available to you.

You will see on the very right hand column of my meter there are a range of diiferent ohm settings which can be selected. Yours may be different as you are using a more modern clamp meter and on it you might not have to select the correct range, but that "1" on your screen looks like an "out of range" indicator to me.
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

That's correct it is reading 1 which is what it reads when it has no continuity (open circuit) to measure the resistance. It is supposed to be self ranging. I am getting the correct readings for the primary windings of5(3-5 spec)

The range is ok on the meter for these tests:

Technical Details Greenlee cm600

• Selectable auto off for longer battery life
                            • Resistance measurement up to 2000 ohms <- Ah ha!! Thanks AZR and everyone for getting me to look at this.
                            • Includes (1) 9V battery, test leads and carrying case
                            • AC Clamp on Meter
                            • Limited warranty service
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Hi,

If I read those specs correctly, that meter reads up to 2000 ohms. The secondary windings should measure around 35,000 ohms. I think you need a different meter.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X