Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any photo examples of where to test coils?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hkspwrsche View Post
    That's correct it is reading 1 which is what it reads when it has no continuity (open circuit) to measure the resistance. It is supposed to be self ranging. I am getting the correct readings for the primary windings of5(3-5 spec)

The range is ok on the meter for these tests:

Technical Details Greenlee cm600

• Selectable auto off for longer battery life
    • Resistance measurement up to 2000 ohms
    • Includes (1) 9V battery, test leads and carrying case
    • AC Clamp on Meter
    • Limited warranty service
    nice meter

Comment

Yep nice but wrong range darn!

Comment

Ok can anyone vet the specs on this meter? It appeasr to have the right ranges on it:

Equus Innova 3320 auto-ranging digital multimeter - technical specifications and operating instructions.

equus 3320

Thanks for all your helps guys!!

Comment

Actually, it is the wrong type of meter. According the the advert, it is: "Greenlee's Clamp Meter provides AC amperage and AC/DC voltage measuring capability." It is mainly a clamping ampmeter with AC/DC voltage capability.
          It is not a mulitmeter, which is what you need. Any old multimeter will suffice, even a $5 from Harbor Freight. I do have meter envy, BTW, a clamping ampmeter has been on my "I want one" list for years.

Comment

It has an ohm setting that was self ranging so I didnt bother to check the rating until AZR mentioned it.
            What do you think of the one I posted? Will that do the trick?
            Maybe I should just get a $5 one as long as it read far enough.

Comment

Looks like the one you posted will do the trick. Again it's one of those 'auto' range ones but it does show it will go high enough. All this just to test coils eh...Make sure what ever multimeter you buy it's a good one because this is a tool you will use over and over on these bikes. The one you posted looks to be just fine. The only thing I hate about the probe ends is lots of time you want clamps instead, but easy enough to make them, wish mine had come with clamps as well because really you need both.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Yeah the clamps are cheap and this one uses semi universal ports to change the leads from what I read. This is the oldest bike I've owned so I wanted to get a decent one that would work for the bike and I also wanted to hope I dont need it much!

Comment

Basically what you want is one that will do impedance (resistance), continuity and diode testing, and this one fills the bill. I would say go for it. I am a firm believer that your main multimeter should be a good one; my Radio Shack is +25 years and still going strong. On rides, however, I carry the $5 unit, just in case it gets borrowed and not returned. If you know what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                  X