Dyan 2000 - Coil Relay Mod Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyan 2000 - Coil Relay Mod Problem

Installed the coil relay mod along with a Dyna 2000 and Dyna 2.2 ignition coils.

With the key on I have 13.2 volts to the ignition coils. As mentioned in a previous post I have the following 4 wires together:

1- black form the relay
    2 - 2 red wires from the ign coils
    3 - red wire from the Dyna module

With the key on I also have power to the two terminals on each coil.

I grounded the 2 & 4 spark plugs to the block. Rotating the crankshaft the red light on the Dyna module will light indicating that its at a firing point. (2/3 or 1/4) BUT there's no spark at the spark plugs??

Where did I screw up??

I have never played with a Dyna, but that won't stop me from guessing.

There has to be two wires from the Dyna module to the coils. One wire will go to each coil. Power should go from the 87 terminal of your relay and split to both coils. I'm sure the Dyna module needs a power wire somewhere. Colors? You are on your own for that, I'm not there to follow them for you.

This picture only shows the relay part of the mod. You will have to mentally picture the Dyna module and the two wires that go from it to the coils.

Last edited by Steve; 01-20-2011, 04:53 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hi,

Mr. posplayr wrote up a guide for the coil relay mod and Dyna-S. See if it helps you...

Dyna-S Coil Relay Mod
      (by Mr. posplayr)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I don't think you're supposed to ground the coils. The hot is always connected to hot and the ground circuit is closed and opened in order to fire the coils.

I think if you were to connect and disconnect a ground to the negative end of the coil with the hot always connected every time you disconnect you will get a spark. That's what the dyna does - connects and disconnects the ground to fire the coils.
        Last edited by Guest; 01-24-2011, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicholaschase29 View Post
          I don't think you're supposed to ground the coils. The hot is always connected to hot and the ground circuit is closed and opened in order to fire the coils.

I think if you were to connect and disconnect a ground to the negative end of the coil with the hot always connected every time you disconnect you will get a spark. That's what the dyna does - connects and disconnects the ground to fire the coils.
          He did not ground the coils. He ground the spark plugs. El G.

Comment

Originally posted by gaillarry View Post
            Installed the coil relay mod along with a Dyna 2000 and Dyna 2.2 ignition coils.

With the key on I have 13.2 volts to the ignition coils. As mentioned in a previous post I have the following 4 wires together:

1- black form the relay

I grounded the 2 & 4 spark plugs to the block. Rotating the crankshaft the red light on the Dyna module will light indicating that its at a firing point. (2/3 or 1/4) BUT there's no spark at the spark plugs??

Where did I screw up??
            Did you get it going? El G.

Comment

1- black form the relay

Where did I screw up??
              Been watching from afar; hopefully you have the relay figured out like Steve described. Otherwise......

Yes you should have spark, but I would check it by insuring that the of the two sides of each coil you see the following:

1.) top of coil is 13V+
              2.) bottom of coils drop to 0.5V when charging; rise to 13V when discharged.

Note the spark happens when the low side voltage goes from 0.5V to 13V.

When you say grounded the spark plug you mean the tip so that yu can see the spark jump the gap which is a secondary voltage test.

Comment

He did not ground the coils. He ground the spark plugs. El G.
                oops my bad. I mis-read it.

Comment

Here's a pic of the wiring diagram. I'm going to change the red leads from the coils. Now I have the 2 leads connected to the switched power source from the relay. I'll change them to have one red lead connected to the other ign coil and the other read lead to the switched power source. The relay mod is working as there's power to the ign coils.

Comment

Here's a pic of the wiring diagram. I'm going to change the red leads from the coils. Now I have the 2 leads connected to the switched power source from the relay. I'll change them to have one red lead connected to the other ign coil and the other read lead to the switched power source. The relay mod is working as there's power to the ign coils.
                    I am having a bit of trouble following your re-wiring, as I only see ONE red wire in the picture.
                    That is the wire that connects to one of the coil terminals to power the Dyna unit.

That wire at the top of the picture that is labeled "To Switched +12 Volts" is the one that should be connected to the #87 terminal on your relay. That is the wire that will power the coils. It also provides power to the red wire that powers the Dyna unit. There is no mention of any other red lead. The only thing I can figure is that you used red wire from #87 to the coils but did not mention that.

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

There is a red wire on each ign coil and one red wire coming from the module. I'll rewire a take a better pic.

Comment

Fortunately, electrons are blind and can't see the color of the wire they are running through (besides, it's dark inside there). As long as you have a wire that comes from #87 on the relay and goes to both coils, then on to the Dyna module, you should be good to go.

sigpic
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride

Comment

I just installed the same ignition system. I did not use the relay method. I went directly to the terminal, where it met with the ignitor. El G.

Comment

Finally got it sorted out. There was a broken wire from the trigger on the crank. Nice spark now. Have to get the carbs back together, just received new o ring kits.

Comment

Working...
                            X