Which coil to use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which coil to use

How do you tell what coils are needed for a GS1100G 85. I am hopeless with a multimeter. Can anyone tell me what resistance I need? Is there any harm having a higher resistance coil?

You need 3-ohm coils.

Put your multimeter in OHMS or RESISTANCE mode. Put one meter lead on one of the screw terminals on the coil.
    Put the other meter lead on the other coil terminal, read the meter. Should be close to 3 ohms.

The only "harm" in using a higher-resistance coil is that you will not get as much current throught the coil. Less current = less spark.

Coils in the older bikes with points were higher resistance to keep the points from burning. With the electronic ignition systems, it was possible to use lower-resistance coils for more current and better spark, with the added benefit of NO POINTS TO ADJUST.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dyna green coils are 3 ohm.
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Cheers.
        I should have checked the thread before I replaced the HT leads... doh!
        It's raining so haven't taken it for a ride but I think it's still missing.
        My bike doesn't have points, it has a signal generator and igniter if that makes any difference.

Comment

You still need 3 Ohm coils. Not sure why Steve mentioned points ignition, since he knows you have electronic ignition. Perhaps for completeness; Steve tends to be thorough.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
            You still need 3 Ohm coils. Not sure why Steve mentioned points ignition, since he knows you have electronic ignition. Perhaps for completeness; Steve tends to be thorough.
            Should have been a bit more thorough, though.

Should have been "Coils in the older bikes with points were higher resistance (about 5 ohms) to limit the current in an effort to keep the points from burning. With the electronically-triggered ignition systems such as your bike has, it was possible to use lower-resistance coils for more current and better spark, with the added benefit of NO POINTS TO ADJUST."

Thanks, George.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

All good. Can I measure the resistance of the coils through the HT leads or do I need to test the coils at the pins themselves?

Comment

All fixed

The leads didn't help so I took Baz's coils off the Interloper (both GS1150 EF projects) and swapped a couple of the shorter leads with the old leads I'd taken off Gad earlier, then transplanted them into Gad. Voila! she's all smooth as silk again.

Tried using my multimeter to check the old coils and as usual I drew a blank. Mostly got nill readings on all the resistance settings (testing the prongs that go into the leads) and got a reading of .005 on one of the dozen settings between 2k and 2M on the connection contacts at the other end (can't remember which setting all far too complicated for me).

Anyway, proof is in the pudding as they say So old coils are for the bin and now I need to buy 2 sets for my EF projects
                Last edited by Guest; 01-23-2011, 04:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X