Gs750 1977

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs750 1977

My GS750 electric ignition is dead, it did start on kick starter, but ive left it a month. The battery is weak, i was wondering does the battery come into play at all when kick starting, is it the quality of the plugs, the compression and fuel that determines whether a bike starts on kick and i guess the stator?

Originally posted by ybot1966 View Post
    My GS750 electric ignition is dead, it did start on kick starter, but ive left it a month. The battery is weak, i was wondering does the battery come into play at all when kick starting, is it the quality of the plugs, the compression and fuel that determines whether a bike starts on kick and i guess the stator?
    Do you have electronic ignition or points on your bike? A good battery is required to power the coils with a good 12v to start the motor whether using kickstarter or starter motor. You can use jumper leads from your battery to a car battery, but not with the car running. That should tell you if it is the battery at fault or not.

If the ignition is dead it could be the fuse is blown. Check that out as well and if you have ignition lights and it still won't start using a car battery and leads then remove the spark plugs and see if they spark when turning the motor with the starter.

Comment

Don
      Yes its got electronic ignition and points, the starter squeked a bit then died, ill check the fuses, but ive been starting it with kick, ive ordered new plugs as the others had been in for a time, i just read somewhere that strength of the battery doesnt effect the ability of the kick starter to fire up the engine? which sounds a bit spurious

Thanks Toby

Comment

Don
        Yes its got electronic ignition and points, the starter squeked a bit then died, ill check the fuses, but ive been starting it with kick, ive ordered new plugs as the others had been in for a time, i just read somewhere that strength of the battery doesnt effect the ability of the kick starter to fire up the engine? which sounds a bit spurious

Thanks Toby
        It can not have both it is either origanal with points or updated with electronic ignition. As far as the battery coming into play put it on a charger and see if it will turn the bike over after it takes a charge. To kick start it you don't need a fully charged battery but you do need some juice in it . Though not recommended because it will really tax your charging system on your bike and as we all know the charging systems on our beloved GS's have enough problems on their own with out adding to the problem
        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

hjfisk

It has a electric starter and kick starter where do the points come into it?

Comment

I think i might be confusing electronic with electric ignition, its not electronic

Comment

Under the small right casecover, do you see something like this;

Or something more solid state looking?

Comment

The battery strength doesnt effect the bike from starting with the kicker. The kicker was there as a backup in case the battery went dead or the starter motor quit. I would check the fuses ..then to check the starter all you need to do is take a screwdriver and short across the two big bolts on top of the starter selinoid. It will make a big spark so dont freak. If the starter motor is good it will kick over...or try at least. If it tries but hangs up and drags then it probably needs to be replaced cleaned and repared. Be sure the battery is 100% charged to do these checks. Points open and close like on grandpas 50 chevy to send spark to the coils and break the connection when they are open. The only difference is that grandpas chevy only had 1 coil and one set of points. These bikes have 2 coils, thus 2 sets of points and condensors...
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-25-2011, 04:28 PM.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

hjfisk

It has a electric starter and kick starter where do the points come into it?
                  In your previous post you stated that it had electronic ignition, and points that is where it came from[you] it can only have one or the other not both . unless you meant it had electric start[ which we know it does] but none the less all that has been posted should still be followed. Not good for your charging system to be charging a low battery all the time. It will do it for a limited time only.
                  1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                  80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                  1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                  83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                  85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                  1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                  “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                  If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

How old is the battery in question? Did you check the fluid levels in it? serviceable battery or sealed? Gell or conventional? Goota have as many details as possible because eveyones gonna ask anyways..These guys are VERY VERY thourough as long as they have a clear picture as to what they are dealing with. Charge the battery fully and let it set for about an hr..then check the voltage with your meter. Let it set unmolested overnight and the read the voltage again. If its going bad youll notice a big difference in voltage readings.. It may charge up but the electrolites might be so used up it just leaks of voltage fast.
                    Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks ill put new plugs in as well

Comment

Working...
                      X