Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Aftermarket Stator? Quality-Price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Aftermarket Stator? Quality-Price?

Okay, I think I need a new stator. A big one. What is the consensus of the aftermarket units? Quality? Or price?
    Tanx
    Greg
    sigpic1983 1100 Katana - soon to be turbo Busa powered.
    2007 GSXR1K-Sold-But not forgotten.
    Have 2X ZG14 engine's for '81 GS750E project.
    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

I'd go for a Ricks, although it's not cheap. Many of the aftermarket stators are wound to provide "20% more power" or something to this effect, and the extra power will generate extra heat which is not good. I strongly suggest staying with a high quality stock stator equivalent. You might want to call Ricks and see what they say about this issue. I suspect they would wind one special for you if by chance they are adding extra windings on there like some of the others.

Of course rewinding your own is another option. There are some tutorials here on how to do it. I'm going to give it a try when the time comes.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

What are your thoughts about the higher output stators with the Compufire system?
      '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
        What are your thoughts about the higher output stators with the Compufire system?
        I suspect that combo would be fine. Compufire R/R's are $180+ though.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

It is fine with the Compufire, if the power avaliable from the stator is not used the SERIER R/R simply turn off the series switch and it doesnt produce any more than needed.

I have the Electrosport that started to get brown in 250 miles with a FET based FHA012 R/R and has been fine ever since with the CF.

Comment

Is the stock stator up to some extra power draw, driving lights, elect riding gear? Nessism, I already have one installed and consider that price reasonable for the added benefits.
            '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Is the stock stator up to some extra power draw, driving lights, elect riding gear? Nessism, I already have one installed and consider that price reasonable for the added benefits.
              I would monitor your voltage with any enhanced loads, but you will probably be OK with a stock stator.

The problem is really with adding extra capacity in a stator, and then NOT using it with a SHUNT regulator. This causes the stator to keep the current (i.e. it is shorted). The SERIES as mentioned just opens the circuit.

Assuming everything is in good charging condition, if you notice with additional loads you can't get over 14.0V at say 2.5-3K RPM you are probably have too much load.

Comment

Thanks again. The elect glove liners and insoles are only about 65W additional, but I live in a deer dodging area and need some nice driving lights.

Comment

Thanks again. The elect glove liners and insoles are only about 65W additional, but I live in a deer dodging area and need some nice driving lights.
                  If you are in need of a change the Electrosport stator seems very well constructed and is apparently 20% higher output which would work well with your CF.

Comment

Stator

Thanks guys. I needed some replacements as all my "spare" seem to be shorted. I was hoping to get something cheaper than the Rick's. Electrosports site isn't working properly. As skilled as I am in other things, I don't think it enough to do my own rewind. Not to mention my short patience. I am considering trying to find some used ones. Rick's were like $140 and they needed a core? Maybe Electro. was cheaper but I couldn't find out.
                    I would love to go with the CF reg/rec., but I am going to sell these GS's and will try the CF on my GSXR and Busa project. Though I do have a couple of the Hobda reg/rec units. And like 6 of the regular GS reg/rec's. Too much.
                    Thanks
                    Greg
                    '82 GS750E frame is TITLED awaiting GSXR1127/12B engine and '81 1100E slowly being built.

Comment

I've been using an RM Stator for about two years now and it seems to be doing fine. I believe it's the same as the Electrosport.

Comment

Originally posted by gmansyz View Post
                        Thanks guys. I needed some replacements as all my "spare" seem to be shorted. I was hoping to get something cheaper than the Rick's. Electrosports site isn't working properly. As skilled as I am in other things, I don't think it enough to do my own rewind. Not to mention my short patience. I am considering trying to find some used ones. Rick's were like $140 and they needed a core? Maybe Electro. was cheaper but I couldn't find out.
                        I would love to go with the CF reg/rec., but I am going to sell these GS's and will try the CF on my GSXR and Busa project. Though I do have a couple of the Hobda reg/rec units. And like 6 of the regular GS reg/rec's. Too much.
                        Thanks
                        Greg
                        The Honda R/R's seem to be tamer on the stators as per the burnt stator polls. The cheapest stator solution is to get a used Kawasaki rotor. You can cross reference the Kawi rotors to the GS rotos on the Electrosport site.

The used Kawi rotors are ususally in excellent shape and very cheap.

Comment

A new stator on Ebay

I found one on ebay called Caltric. Anyone ever heard of it? Use it?
                          For $89.95 with free shipping.
                          Tanx
                          Greg

Comment

Working...
                          X