Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil Pressure switch..Does this look right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
    OH!
    So the cable from the oil pressure switch is a ground cable, that goes to the (-) on the oil pressure warning light?
    Yes both the oil switch and kick stand switch are doing low side control of the lights.

The lights are powered but without a ground have no current going through them. Low side control is a safe way to control a load as nothing gets shorted out, which could happen if you were carring power around on a live wire.

Comment

!!! Awesome !!!
      yes I understand now how it works. This is brilliant. Everything just clicked.
      Thanks guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        There is a trick involved there. The oil pressure light is NOT grounded.
        At least, not directly.

It is fed power in the instrument panel by the SIGNAL fuse (also powers turn signals, horn and brake lights).
        The wire that would ground the light goes through the switch on the engine before it gets to ground.

I think you are saying the same thing? The oil light is grounded through the oil peressure switch to the engine; right?

Comment

From what I understood. The oil pressure switch is grounded only when oil pressure drops. How this works I have no idea...but it works.

That cable comes out of the oil pressure switch, goes into the (-) on the warning light, The light has power from the ignition, as well as the other lights, and the ground only becomes active when the oil pressure is low, hence the light comes on.

Comment

Originally posted by oohsam View Post
            From what I understood. The oil pressure switch is grounded only when oil pressure drops. How this works I have no idea...but it works.

That cable comes out of the oil pressure switch, goes into the (-) on the warning light, The light has power from the ignition, as well as the other lights, and the ground only becomes active when the oil pressure is low, hence the light comes on.

Inside the switch is a contact that is closed when pressure is low, like when you just turn the key on (engine not running). Thus it makes a ground for the circuit to complete it and the light comes on. Once the engine is started and oil pressure goes up, the oil pressure switch opens and breaks contact with the ground, so no power flows through the light bulb.

Comment

We can try this in other words.

For a useable circuit, you need to have a path for power to run from one side of the battery, through a load (the light), back to the battery. In this case, we are going to also install a switch to turn the light ON. Electrically, it does not matter if the switch is before or after the load. We usually install it before the load, on the "hot" wire, but in this case, it's installed after the load, on the "ground" side.

Pos, yes, we were saying the same thing.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                We can try this in other words.

For a useable circuit, you need to have a path for power to run from one side of the battery, through a load (the light), back to the battery. In this case, we are going to also install a switch to turn the light ON. Electrically, it does not matter if the switch is before or after the load. We usually install it before the load, on the "hot" wire, but in this case, it's installed after the load, on the "ground" side.

Pos, yes, we were saying the same thing.

I'm glad we did not have to consult Maxwell

Comment

you need two diodes and one dual output relay besides the ignition relay. I'm assuming the ignition relay ground can be controlled. The coil return is grounded to teh case but you can unsolder it to do this control.

The disable on Kick stand = Down and neutral switch (in gear OPEN) shoul not effect the either of the lights.

Comment

Working...
                  X