Relay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay question

I want to add extra driving lights to my bike and I just wondering the best way to do it without over taxing the charging system

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
    I want to add extra driving lights to my bike and I just wondering the best way to do it without over taxing the charging system
    It does depend on what sort of wattage you are planning. LEDs may be a good idea.

Comment

I have some 55w lights from my other bike that I never used I was planning but led would be much easier I bet

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
        I have some 55w lights from my other bike that I never used I was planning but led would be much easier I bet
        Two additional 55W lights would require nearly 10 extra Amps of current and for most GS charging systems that may be a bit much and you may have an undercharged battery as a result. A seperate power feed via a dedicated fuse and a relay with a switch may be required depending on your preference.

If you use two LED clusters the current draw should be minimal and you could use the existing wiring, again depending on your needs you may require a switch as well. A quick fix is to just use the spare brown wire in your headlamp which is switched power via the ignition switch. I would suggest this as the better way to go unless you want to light up the road with these as well.

Comment

Just be aware that with current technology in affordable LED driving lights, they won't light up the road very much.

I have a set of lights mounted on my wife's bike that don't look too bad. They are definitely more useful for making you visible than for helping you see better.

I don't have a picture of the front of the bike, but they are visible in this one.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

There is a ton of info on HID lights. Supposed to be pretty bright but most I see are expensive.

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Good visibility LED's are usually pretty expensive.
              But this depends on what your definition of "expensive is"

First, make sure your wiring harness is clean.
              And make sure you install a good quality bulb in there....don't cheap out! lol

The GS lights seem to be pretty damn good most of the time, as long as your electrical system connections are good and clean, and battery holds a charge.

Comment

I used hid kit

than i bought a h4 lens from amazon, it use less amps, twice the light of the stock lighting.

Comment

Working...
                X