Eastern Beaver wiring and relay help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eastern Beaver wiring and relay help

My local MC guru owes me a favor and has agreed to redo all the wiring on my bike for free

I want to put in an Eastern Beaver PC-8 for my 82 GS750E.

I previously installed a separate relay for the highway blaster horns but did a kludge job anticipating this work.

If I get one of EB's harnesses, which length should I get and should I get the built in relay?

I don't think any of the EB boards have built-in relays. The relays are on a short harness and will mount right next to the fuse block, but not directly on it. (I am considering a couple of these for my bikes, too. )

The length of the harness depends on where you plan on mounting it. If you plan on putting it where the stock fuse box is, I would think that the standard 18" harness would be just fine. Personally, I would rather have a few extra inches than to try to stretch the wire.

Use one of the "always hot" fuses to power the ignition switch, then have the switched wire from the ignition switch power the relay trigger. The rest of the bike can be wired pretty much as stock. I would still use your separate relay for horns, though.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How would the coil relay mod work with this setup? I'm getting the PC-8 and the 18" 30A relay kit.

Comment

Basically, the "coil relay mod" would be built-in.

Yep, ALL the circuits are fed by relay-switched power straight from the battery. That fresh power feeds fresh fuse contacts, then you can use your stock wiring to feed all the circuits, including the coils.

Now, if you have problems with your coil wiring, you will have to decide whether to fix your wiring problems or install a secondary relay, following the original "coil relay mod" instructions.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG View Post
          My local MC guru owes me a favor and has agreed to redo all the wiring on my bike for free

I want to put in an Eastern Beaver PC-8 for my 82 GS750E.

I previously installed a separate relay for the highway blaster horns but did a kludge job anticipating this work.

If I get one of EB's harnesses, which length should I get and should I get the built in relay?
          MikeG,

Can you describe the "kludge" job you did on the wiring for your highway blasters on your GS750E? I'm looking at options for my 650G and thought there may be a proven, cheaper, and easier alternative to ordering from EB.
          '83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
          X