77 GS400 Right Pipe Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

77 GS400 Right Pipe Cold

The bike was sitting for 31+ years and I have rebuilt and repaired some small problems.

1. cleaned repaired gas tank. coated inside with Kreem.
    2. Fixed petcock and remounted on tank
    3. Replaced seals and replaced fork oil
    4. New tires
    5. Cleaned carbs, cleaned carbs and then cleaned carbs again.

Bike has been running on both cylinders.

Today when I tried to start the bike it was very hard to start. could not keep running. Finally I was able to get it running, but the Right cylinder is not firing. I took the plug out and it only sparks when it is not contacting the head. If I place it on the head or ground it it stops sparking. when it does spark it sparks to the frame and across the gap at the same time.

I am at a loss

David

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ffl,

Have you replaced your spark plug caps? You'll find ignition troubleshooting tips in the electrical section of my website. In the meantime, let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

For the no spark, I'd be testing the sparkplug caps as BassCliff suggested, as well as checking all the grounds and coils.

You could do things like swap the left and right coils to see if it follows the coil or stays on the same plug.

As for your hard starting, aside from no spark there are two things that will hugely impact this:

- Valve adjustment
      - Carb balance

Carb balancing will be hard/impossible until you sort the spark issue, but the valve adjustment is a must before doing the carbs and it don't matter if you have spark or not.

Hope that helps somewhat...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Put some new plugs in it.
        If still nothing start with the end caps and wires.

Always start with the easy stuff.
        sigpic

82 GS850
        78 GS1000
        04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
        .................________-|___\____
        ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
        X