Dyna S and Dyna 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna S and Dyna 2000

What is difference between the dyna s and the dyna 2000?

Have you tried looking them up online?

Basically, the S is a self-contained replacement for ponts or a factory electronic ignition.
    In our case, it works well on bikes through about '82, as long as they have a centrifugal advance mechanism.

The 2000 is also self-contained, but has programmable advance curves, rev limiter and other features, as well.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Dyna

Steve,

What would be the dyna coil part number for a 79 gs 850g?

Comment

I have, the issue is I can find a search for part section...there is so many of them...I'm thinking the right ones are dc1-1 non cdi? I'm lost!!

Comment

The Dyna S is simple hassle free and very effective. For the '79 you would use the Dyna Green 3 Ohm coils and suppression wires The 7mm and 8mm wires both fit the coils. Z1 Enterprises is a good place to get them.
          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ine=1440711157'78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

On most bikes, the dyna-s is all you need. It's a direct replacement for points - and fits behind the points cover.

The Dyna 2000 is more for performance bikes where you need a stronger spark, and adjustable advance/retard settings. The dyna 2000 also has a build in rev limiter - also very useful on a performance bike being pushed to the redline... The dyna 2000 has a control box that needs to be installed under a side cover or under the seat.

I run dyna-s on stock or close to stock bikes. I run the 2000 unit on my turbo.

Comment

i did look them up. was a little confused on it, so i asked.

Comment

Originally posted by smokienutz View Post
                i did look them up. was a little confused on it, so i asked.
                It's far better to ask BEFORE you buy...

Comment

ya i was wondering and about to ask about this myself... i have an 80 gs850 and 1000 which both have igniters and signal gens instead of points wouldn't the 2000 replace the signal gen and igniter?

edit: ok with the 2000 you change the whole ignition system signal gen, igniter, coils
                  Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2011, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by refeicul View Post
                    ya i was wondering and about to ask about this myself... i have an 80 gs850 and 1000 which both have igniters and signal gens instead of points wouldn't the 2000 replace the signal gen and igniter?
                    Yes.......El G.

Comment

Originally posted by refeicul View Post

edit: ok with the 2000 you change the whole ignition system signal gen, igniter, coils
                      The Dyna S replaces the signal generator and the ignitor as well. Although you only "see" the sig gen part, the ignitor is built-in to that one part.

Generally speaking the 2000 is most useful on the 83+ GSes where there was no mechanical advance because the advance curve was built in to the ignitor. The Dyna S can't replicate that. Some have retrofitted mech adv units from prior years onto their 83+ bikes since the 2000 is so much more expensive than the Dyna S.

Comment

so you wire up the coils to the new sig gen.. cool! Would of saved me a bunch if i knew that a while ago...

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                        Some have retrofitted mech adv units from prior years onto their 83+ bikes since the 2000 is so much more expensive than the Dyna S.

double the money ya i can see that
                        Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Well if they haven't shipped yet maybe you can still cancel?

If your stock coils are good the Dyna S will work just fine with those too. You'll just have to rig up the connection for the negative lead.

Comment

well a lot of stuff was already purchased last year so no chance of return and what not... went threw a few igniters..

Comment

Ah, sorry to hear about that.

Old ignitors are not to be trusted unless you have no choice. I could sell mine as "tested and working", but it will overheat after about 1/2 hour of riding. I think I've only ever read about 1 Dyna S failure; they're very reliable.

Comment

Working...
                              X