Testing primary side of coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing primary side of coils

"To test the coils put one probe of the multitester on each of the terminals on the primary side of the coil. You should get 3-5 ohms"
    I got that from a Billy Ricks "how to" at BikeCliff's site. My dumb question is "Where is the primary side?" Is it the side facing forward that has the 2 little clips (at least one of them is an orange wire)? Do I just test the resistance between the terminal where I sent my coil relay wire and the other one right next to it on the same end of the coil?
    1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
    1983 GS 1100 G
    2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
    2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
    1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Read through this. Post back if you have any troubles but I'm sure the thread will answer all.

Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by 1948man View Post
      "To test the coils put one probe of the multitester on each of the terminals on the primary side of the coil. You should get 3-5 ohms"
      I got that from a Billy Ricks "how to" at BikeCliff's site. My dumb question is "Where is the primary side?" Is it the side facing forward that has the 2 little clips (at least one of them is an orange wire)? Do I just test the resistance between the terminal where I sent my coil relay wire and the other one right next to it on the same end of the coil?
      Disconnect the two small wires running to a coil (one wire will be orange), measure resisistance across COIL terminals on a low reading scale- should be in 3 to 5 ohm range. Check both coils individually.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I was seeing it correctly but just wasn't sure.
        1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I've got 23K ohms on both coils on the secondary side. Plugs aren't sooty. Should I just run it or does a resistance that low suggest the coils need to be replaced?
          1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

I've got 23K ohms on both coils on the secondary side. Plugs aren't sooty. Should I just run it or does a resistance that low suggest the coils need to be replaced?
            That ohms reading seems reasonable- are you having running problems and suspect the coils/plugs? plenty of info on here about this-do a search.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I've been searching, such as herehttp://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=112516&highlight=coils+secondary but I never found exactly what, if anything, outside of the 30-35K ohms was something you could live with. Bike runs pretty strong but my mileage is low. The plugs don't look sooty like the fuel isn't getting burned. I guess I just wanted to confirm all systems are okay. I'm going to use my new Morgan Colortune today and also sync the carbs. Maybe my mileage will pick up. If not, I'll just quit worrying about it. I have a Dynojet ST 3, V and H 4 into 1 and APE pods.
              This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
              Last edited by 1948man; 02-20-2011, 12:47 PM.
              1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

... Bike runs pretty strong but my mileage is low. ... I have a Dynojet ST 3, V and H 4 into 1 and APE pods.
                What are you considering "low"?

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Just improved from 27 to about 30 but I haven't really got my dynojet tweaked. The few times I have been on the road for 40-50 miles, a little over 30mpg.
                  1983 GS 1100 G

Comment

Yep, should be better than that, even with your carb mods.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                    X