Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Drains Dead by Sitting

To All
    I recently purchased a suzuki 1983 gs1100gl. Two days after getting the bike home it would not start. Since I had just bought the bike I assumed the batterry was old so I purchased another one 220cca to replace the 190cca battery. The bike runs extremely strong with not hesitation. I drove it 4 hours to get it home with no problems. It starts up as long as the battery has a full charge so I don't think it is a carb or airbox, seals or plug problem. The problem is after sitting for 2 days without any activity the battery is completely drained but will start right up with a jump. After starting the bike runs very strong and smooth especially with the shaft drive. Does anyone have any earthly idea what could be pulling the battery down by just sitting for 2 days. Any ideas on what to check would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much

Tommy
    user name tommy_7716 email address is tommy_7716@yahoo.com

Hi Tommy, welcome to the nut house, I would suggest you go through the wiring with a fine tooth comb, the harness is 30 years old, so a bit of maintenence is in order.
    Go through each and every connection with and clean and make sure the contact is secure and insulated, PIA I know, but it has to be done.
    Sounds like something is drawing current while the bike is standing, maybe take a multimeter to the fusebox and with the bike swiched off, isolate which fuse has current draw, that will narrow it down already.
    The diodes in your R/R may be toast, letting the current run back, check out the stator papers here for tests on the charging system.

Basscliff should be along shortly to give you his mega welcome which you will find packed with more information than you could wish for.

Comment

You've got an active electrical drain going on, that's for sure. Multi-meter time, and a test light may also be handy.

Comment

I think I would check it out as Flyboy suggested. Disconnect the R/R and see if the drain goes away, then the switches and inspect multiple connectors for signs of melting, and the rest of the harness. You don't have a dead short but it could become one. Corrosion in switches could cause a drain like that.
        '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
        X