Any difference between....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any difference between....

A R/R for a 1981 GS650 and one for a 1983? Found a cheap one local that the owner will test in front of me to prove it works AND give me a return if it dies within a month. Just looking to see if the connections will be the same. Im not where my bike is soo...

Thanks in advance.

Hi Hammered,
    The two are the same units for the 1981 and the 1983 gs650g

Comment

Sweet thanks. I was near a comp and my "smart" phone is a C student at best. I picked it up, working and ready to install for $30 so *fingers crossed*

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
        Sweet thanks. I was near a comp and my "smart" phone is a C student at best. I picked it up, working and ready to install for $30 so *fingers crossed*
        Not sure if you bought the 81 or the 83 but there were some differences back thgen in terms of how many sator legs were controlled. I think some of the easly ones with only one leg of control could get into a situation of overcharging much worse than the later ones.

For $45 the Honda is the way to go hands down no question. See Duanage

Comment

Originally posted by Hammered View Post
          A R/R for a 1981 GS650 and one for a 1983? Found a cheap one local that the owner will test in front of me to prove it works AND give me a return if it dies within a month. Just looking to see if the connections will be the same. Im not where my bike is soo...

Thanks in advance.
          The stock ones were identical, but as Posplayr said, on the 81, one stator leg was controlled by headlight on/off switch, but it would plug right in assuming nobody had fiddled with it already .
          How is this seller going to test it in front of you? There is no good test except for installing it and running. You can test the diodes, but this is no assurance on how it will work. For $45 , member Duanage will sell you a reliable used honda style R/R and you can improve the connections at the same time. Basically you're better off dumping the plug and wiring the three stator wires direct to R/R. This is a common upgrade.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            The stock ones were identical, but as Posplayr said, on the 81, one stator leg was controlled by headlight on/off switch, but it would plug right in assuming nobody had fiddled with it already .
            How is this seller going to test it in front of you? There is no good test except for installing it and running. You can test the diodes, but this is no assurance on how it will work. For $45 , member Duanage will sell you a reliable used honda style R/R and you can improve the connections at the same time. Basically you're better off dumping the plug and wiring the three stator wires direct to R/R. This is a common upgrade.
            Actually I was referring to the number of SCR's inside the R/R. I think some of the early ones did not have 3 SCR's maybe only 1 (like my 81 GS750EX). So if you are overvoltageing and the one SCR is off all the time there excess power just keeps building which can cause the infamous burnt ground straps. If you have 3 SCR's I dont think this can happen unless something fails.

Regardless the Honda is the cheapest and for the money most effective way to go.

Comment

Already picked up the one off an 81 but will have to hit up about the honda replacement. Wish I had remembered that yesterday.

Comment

Working...
              X