1982 850L problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 850L problems

Howdy folks. I introduced myself I believe a few months ago.

Heres the story, While im in the midst of building my FZR1000 I've been sitting on my 850. I know I should clean the carbs as it has always been slightly hestiant as 6500 and cold starts just suck. Well anyway, after registering it friday I decided to take her out this morning. Fired right up and and went to put some gas in her.

Gas in(check)

So Im riding down the road and say, hey lets open her up a little, So I bring her up to around 65-70 and she starts to bog...Okay maybe its the carbs...still dying, so I downshift, maybe I flooded the carbs? nope. Bikes just rolls and dies. Nothing, no lights, ignition, NOTHING. Okay hmm Look over everything, on the left side theres 5 10amp fuses, the 4th one down burnt out.. okay replaced and she starts right up. Decide to go home and check her over before work, and she wont rev past 4k. So I throw her on the center stand and she'll rev to 6k but not past it.

So what do you guys think? I haven't gotten to dig into her yet as Im at work till 10pm. Im not thinking CDI as I wouldn't have spark at all. Now funny thing is that riding home, the gear indicator disappeared, then came back on. Are the VR's known to go on these bikes? Im very familiar with my yammies but these damn zuk's lol

Only thing Im thinking of besides this is the airbox mightve popped off and its giving me problems? I should clean and sync the carb's as it's been a minute since theyve been done.

Cheers for advice guys =)

Hi,

It all has to be done. Clean carbs, wiring harness checked for worn or charred wires and connectors, clean all the electrical connections and grounds, check the charging system, a clean air filter with a very light spritz of oil, new plugs, new plug caps, an air-tight intake system with new (or at least good) intake boots and O-rings, etc, etc, etc. It's all in your "mega-welcome". It all has to be checked, cleaned, repaired, replaced, etc, no shortcuts.

But my first suspect would be dirty carbs. Next would be air leaks. While I'm working on those I'd also be cleaning all the electrical connections, connect the stator outputs directly to the r/r inputs, and connect the ground wire from the r/r directly to the negative terminal of the battery. Clean the fuse box and all of the grounds, even the turn signal stalks. You're going to have to take off the seat, fuel tank, and side covers to get to all of the electrical connections on the wiring harness. Don't forget the connections in the headlight bucket. You'll find lots of tips in the electrical section of my little website. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

The fact that it blows the fuse says it is electrical. Start by checking the battery & charging circuit. If that checks Ok go to the ign circuit. Maybe try wiggling wires around
      to see if it cuts out

Comment

Originally posted by Mcfizzer View Post
        Look over everything, on the left side theres 5 10amp fuses, the 4th one down burnt out.. okay replaced and she starts right up.
        You should have four 10-amp fuses and one 15-amp fuse. The fourth fuse (the one that burnt) is your MAIN fuse and should be the 15.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Get some sort of tool and makeshift your own fuse wait for the meltdown to occur and then you will be able to see where your problem is! LOL Just kidding in all seriousness i think you may have a exposed wires touching, corrosion... what have you done to the harness/electrical system so far?
          John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            You should have four 10-amp fuses and one 15-amp fuse. The fourth fuse (the one that burnt) is your MAIN fuse and should be the 15.

Mr. Steve is, of course, correct. He's a walking encyclopedia.

Pay no attention to the guy pulling out the r/r unit.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
              Mr. Steve is, of course, correct. He's a walking encyclopedia.
              As I said in another thread:

Steve is just reciting the manual.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                As I said in another thread:

Steve is just reciting the manual.
                Yes, but you sound so much smarter than when I do it.

BassCliff

Comment

You just post your encylopedia on your website.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                  X