Dyna Wires suppression core?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dyna Wires suppression core?

I'm confused about these suppression core wires work. It says to strip the jacket and the insulation but inside that there is no copper wire. There's another sleeve with fluffy stuff inside. I'm unfamiliar with this. Is the inside sleeve made of something or am I going all the way to whatever the fluff is? I can't imagine the fluff conducts... Please help! Thanks!

Are you trying to crimp boots onto the wires?
    The middle black thread type chinga dera is the uh wire.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Gotcha. Is it a graphite sleeve and the suppression core is the inside material?

Comment

I only ask because I cut the sleeve looking for the metal inside... But I can re-trim if I need to.

Comment

follow the instructions.... the black cord thing comes up the middle & gets clamped furthest up the boot, the other clamp goes round the rest. You have to expose about 3/4" of black cord to do this from memory...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I understand to follow instructions. I don't understand the instructions and am unfamiliar with this type of wire setup. If I understood the directions I wouldn't be posting on here asking for help. I went ahead and peeled back the boot and insulation leaving only the core wire and folded it back and put the rest of it together. However, just out of curiosity I hooked my multimeter up to it and I'm showing infinite resistance. Is this just because it needs to be powered more than my multimeter can give?

Update: I called Dyna and spoke to someone saying I should see 2-5k ohm resistance once the plugs were crimped. I'm showing 8k before I even start though! After I crimp I'm showing about 15k, does this sound right to you guys???
            Last edited by Guest; 03-01-2011, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I agree the instructions are ambiguos. I cut/scraped the black core stuff off and just used the fluffy stuff..... I seem to have good spark but maybe I should redo it keeping the the black bit?

My resistance measured around 30k ohm with the plug wires attached. I didn't measure them individually.
              1979 GS750E

Comment

As Coady said use the boots with the multimeter and not the wire.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I think I've got it now, measuring about 11-12k ohm resistance and the Dyna tech said that was acceptable. Coady, do you have a miss? 30k seems awful high.

Comment

Originally posted by bobiii84 View Post
                    I think I've got it now, measuring about 11-12k ohm resistance and the Dyna tech said that was acceptable. Coady, do you have a miss? 30k seems awful high.
                    Sorry I was a bit a unclear. That was 30k attached to the coils plug boot to plug boot of either wire.
                    1979 GS750E

Comment

And you are using auto type ends ? Not the originals !!

Comment

Thanks guys! I did eventually get them all to read about 9 Ohms after being crimped end to end. I'm sure this is good enough. The end they have on them already can be a little fickle it seems. It's at an angle and if you make it more acute the resistance goes down. Either way I should be good now, thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                        X